Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

January 2015

Comment Curios: Saabo
Gillian Whitton

The SAAB Club had a Saabo on their stand at The Footman James Classic Car Show in Manchester in September 2014. Cute and Bijou! Read more

Iain Hodcroft

... and this year a Saab Toppola ...

FMS

Best wishes and hope finder refuses reward. Read more

Trilogy

grrc.goodwood.com/road/news/rowan-atkinson-prepare...1 Read more

Trilogy

I believe he sadly has a divorce looming. No doubt the £££ will come in handy. Great car.

michael watt

Had L reg one with a sun roof and loved it . Sadly sold it in 2007 for £350 silly me- should have kept it in a barn! MW Read more

michael watt

Oops forgot to say was Audi 80 2.0i MW

stella

Please get your facts right!!! It wasn't found in 1992 after 30 years in storage I owned it for 6 years from 1976 to 1982. I know who owned before me and who I sold it to!! I have photographs to prove it. It was a Microbus not a camper. I am not saying that it had never been converted but she certainly didn't show any signs of a devon conversion when we owned her.
It is indeed a shame that it wasn't restored to it's original specification the vehicle was a Microbus, and the inside does not reflect this in any way at all!!!!! Read more

Martin Cunningham

Looking forward to this for while
Read more

Graham

Just watching this weeks episode I must say I get the same reaction driving my panther kallista around as Will did driving the corvette. Must say I dont get OCD about all that cleaning my car though as he says it's meant for driving
Thanks Graham

thevandriver

I will be owning a classic soon, with the level of driving skill in the uk, I'd be worried about the idiots in the new cars rarther than the old ones, cars get safer and people get lazy.

I accept that a new car is safer, but I ask this;... Read more

tonyg

I've studied the construction of some very old cars from the 1950s from when I was a small child. Sorry, but I like my big 5 star NCAP saloons. They may be devils to work on compared to classics, - but if I had a Classic I'd trailer it to events, both for it's well being and mine.

recycler

Probably safer in a classic than on a bicycle! Seriously though it must depend on both the type of car and on its condition and structural integrity. You're safer in a classic series 1 Landrover in good structural condition than in a convertible that's structurally weak with no roll bar. Large prestige classics in general should be safer than smaller cars. A lack of airbags, electronic stability aids, powerful lighting and modern brakes should all be taken into consideration when driving a classic car, some of which have to be actually DRIVEN rather than operated. Herein lies the pleasure of driving a vehicle designed and engineered in a bygone age. A knowledge of how physical forces work will help you to understand why the rear wheels on your 30 year old 911 constantly want to be ahead of the front wheels. Learn how to drive your classic, understand its limitations and strengths, keep it well maintained and it will serve you well whilst providing the sheer enjoyment of driving something different. Read more

j f singleton

The older cars may cost less to insure. But I believe that's due to the fact that they are rarely driven more than a few miles a year if that. And when they are driven it's gently because the owner knows all too well how hard parts are to find these days.
I've seen an older car in a crash test compared to a newer vintage. The old one was obliterated and the test dummies very dead. The newer one was damaged only up to the passenger compartment and the dummy occupants survived well. So, let's face it. That's all we had back then. But technology has made great strides in crash survival technology and well as compartmentalizing structural damage.

gavsmit

A tragic story - but one where, yet again, sensible people have to stop doing what they love because of the reckless / irresponsible actions of the dangerous and selfish idiots out there.

As a car enthusiast all my life, I've thought about the idea of getting a nice classic car, maybe even an EV converted one to future proof it. But then the thought of all the terrible lunatics on the roads, in cars that have much better crash protection than any older car, just makes me think it's not worth it.

But that's the society we live in - decent people constantly making sacrifices and having to tolerate the selfish and stupid actions of others, who are never going to change. Read more

Car Crusader

gavsmit I couldn't agree more with your comments.
No activity in life is risk free and I don't consider myself at greater risk driving my classic Clan Crusader than I would be on my bicycle or on a motorbike or even as a pedestrian walking near to the road.
If we all act sensibly and take reasonable precautions then hopefully we will be ok but there is never any guarantee.
My own view is that only having to pass a driving test once in your life is not enough when you see examples of poor driving so frequently.these days. Having a periodic re test would at least allow some opportunity to remove bad habits.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote