Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Classic car tax exemption: what you need to know

Published 18 March 2015

(Updated for 2016)

Cars built before 1976 will qualify for free road tax from 1 April 2016, Chancellor George Osborne has announced.

To join this club of tax-free classics, all you have to do is prove your car was built (not registered) before January 1, 1976.

But don’t be fooled – this isn’t done automatically. If you’ve got a car that now qualifies for free Vehicle Excise Duty then you’ll have to do a bit of paperwork. We spoke to the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs to find out where to start.

Such a task can be overwhelming, but one thing is clear – apply immediately, rather than waiting until you current period of tax has expired.

There is some good news, though. If the vehicle was registered between 1-7 January, 1976, the DVLA will let you register it as a historic vehicle, based on the assumption that the vehicle would have been made in the previous year.

How to apply for the Historic Vehicle tax class

First of all, you’ll need to take the following documents will need to be taken to a motor tax post office.

  • The V5C Registration Certificate. In the change section, put the tax class as Historic Vehicle, and sign and date the V5C. (Ignore any legacy note relating to DVLA Local Office.)
  • A V10 Application for a Tax Disc. On the form indicate a tax class of Historic Vehicle. (Ignore any note relating to an insurance certificate requiring to be produced).
  • Valid MoT Certificate.

The post office will retain the V5C and post it onto DVLA in order for them to change the tax class to Historic Vehicle and issue a new V5C. Subsequent V11 Renewal Reminders should have the tax class of Historic Vehicle.

Top Tip

As with any official communication, we'd suggest you to make a photocopy of all documents that are sent to DVLA.


Getting a refund

Once the vehicle has been taxed as a Historic Vehicle, it will be possible to get a refund for each full calendar month left on the tax disc. Even better - there isn't a form to fill in. Since the tax disc was abolished in October 2014, a refund is automatically issued when you change your vehicle to an exempt tax class.

What to do if you’ve lost your V5C

Part of the process for claiming the Historic Vehicle tax class is that the V5C needs to be amended. If the V5C has been lost or mislaid then to get a replacement one it will be necessary to fill in a V62 form. This form is calledApplication for a Vehicle Registration Certificate. The current fee for a replacement V5C is £25.

What to do if the engine size on your V5C is wrong

The vast majority of tax classes are dependent on engine size/type. This means that when an engine change, or correction of the engine details, is notified to DVLA, there needs to be independent verification of the new engine details before DVLA will accept the change. The Historic Vehicle tax class is one of the few tax classes which is independent of engine size, so changes in engine size/type are not subject to independent verification by DVLA.

If the engine details on a 1973 vehicle are incorrect, it will be clerically simpler for the owner if the amended details are notified to DVLA on the new V5C that indicates the tax class of Historic Vehicle, seeing that no independent verification of engine size/type would then be required.

What to do if your vehicle is wrongly dated

If the year of manufacture needs correcting, then there should be contemporary documentary evidence, which should either be an extract from the manufacturer’s records, which indicates chassis numbers, or an extract from the appropriate Glass’s Check Book. The Glass’s Check Books come in three versions for cars, commercial vehicles, and motorcycles. The appropriate specialist vehicle club should be able to assist in providing a copy of the appropriate Glass’s Check Book, or extract from the manufacturers records, but they could well charge a fee for this service.

Note that a dating letter on its own will not be sufficient to get the year of manufacture corrected. There needs to be contemporary evidence, which will include a chassis number, or bandwidth of chassis numbers and dating information.

To correct the year of manufacture the documentary evidence and the V5C will need to be sent to DVLA. Only when the corrected V5C has been issued, will it be possible to go along to the Post Office with the newly issued V5C and claim the Historic Vehicle tax class.

Historic Vehicles – the small print

The existing usage criterion continues. This is the definition contained in the DVLA leaflet V355/1 called Notes about Taxation Classes. ‘All vehicles,except buses and goods vehicles used commerciallyare exempt from vehicle tax if they were constructed before 1/1/1975. See leaflet INF34.’If a bus or goods vehicle is used commercially, there is not an entitlement to apply for the Historic Vehicle tax class.

For more information

The DVLA information leaflet which explains about the Historic Vehicle tax class is leaflet INF34 that is calledTaxing Historic Vehicles. This will be revised by DVLA to reflect the changes being made. You can download this leaflet by clicking here, call 0300 790 6802 or




CaptainT    on 22 February 2016

The year quoted in the first two paragraphs is presently wrong. I have just tried (February 2016) to register my 2002 tii as historic (registered 10 March 1975) and been refused. To quote from the reply I got from the DVLA: .... legislation was also introduced to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1975 from the payment of VED. This came into force on 1 April 2015. The intention from HM Treasury is to introduce a legislative clause every year so that vehicles manufactured 40 years ago will become exempt from VED.

This means your vehicle may become eligible for the historic tax class from the 1 April 2016.

This is a little confusing as it appears the car was eligible from 1 January 2016 but it was not as the legislative clause will not become law until it appears 1 April 2016 (presuming that it will) and is then applied from 1 January 2016.

As with most things to do with Government it seems an incredibly cock-eyed way of doing it!

What really gets my goat is the fact it costs more to tax a nearly 40 year old car doing less than 2k miles per year than my XF 3.0l diesel.

jim clegg    on 9 March 2017

my owned-from-new 1977 Morgan 4/4 .......February to be exact .has not be included yet as a tax free vehicle. Any boby else with same problem...

Edited by _ORB_ on 19/10/2022 at 17:03

MPS    on 31 March 2017

I think you will find that from April 01st 2017, any car manufactured before 01/01/1977 will be able to be re-classed as historic. At present this is a rolling date, e.g from 01/04/2018 the date will move on to built before 01/01/1978

Sid corke    on 5 July 2017

Just taxed a little Honda 175 registered 12 February 1976 , today 5 july2017 did not expect to have to pay 41 pounds ! Am I wrong, or are they? Part two of this nightmare is that this bike which I obtained early June, had not been taxed or scorned since September 1984 ! Apparently as the now registered keeper I am responsible for this crime. Worried? I,ll say!

Mike Roberts Butler    on 3 August 2017

I have been refused at 2 Post Offices and by phoning the DVLA to apply "tax exempt" on my "Historic" vehicle first registered 1/8/77. So I don't qualify for a refund on my 12 month tax paid either.
I am informed I'll need to await the next tax year April 2018

Keith McLoughlin    on 23 August 2017

Will the 1960 MoT test exemption ever join the road tax rolling 40 year birthday present?

   on 12 September 2017

Sid Corke wrote:
"Part two of this nightmare is that this bike which I obtained early June, had not been taxed or scorned since September 1984 ! Apparently as the now registered keeper I am responsible for this"

I would suggest not. Sorn was not introduced until around 1998 (unsure of exact year but was late 90's)
Sorn was only applied to vehicles that were_taxed at date of its introduction.

Therefore the owner of a vehicle that has been untaxed since 1984 (and kept off of a public road) is not in breach of any law.
The change of ownership in April 2017 represents a grey area because since Sept 2014 it has been a legal requirement to tax (or sorn) a vehicle on change of ownership (tax remaining being automatically credited to the seller)

The law is possibly silent on this situation. IMHO it would be best to declare sorn ASAP with a covering note to explain circumstance. So far as I am aware penalties for "non sorn" accrue from date of 1st occorance - you may get away witrh it but possibly best not to let it drag on.

Peter D Beattie    on 14 October 2017

This year DVLA/VOSA have changed the rules again for those of us with 1960s vehicles. Presently my 1969 is Tax Exempt with an MoT certificate. But will I be able to re-register it for 1st of May 2018 WITHOUT an MoT that comes into force before the end of May 2018? Would I have to SORN it otherwise it could not be registered until 1st June 2018! My current MoT unfortunately ends 26th April 2018.

Peter Beattie

beryl gillingham    on 4 February 2018

well the practical classic magazine for February 2018 now states CARS OF THIRTY YEARS OF AGE WILL BE EXEMPT FROM M.O.T AND TAX. Do you think they are correct. I have emailed dvla no reply. I have emailed practical classics no reply

JAMES WILKES    on 18 February 2018

jim wilkes 18/02/18
my landrover is 41 years old in march 2018,when do,s it become tax free,can some let me now please,they even said i need a mot on my 1934 ford y lol.

   on 16 May 2018

What about a kit car that uses considerable parts from a 72 Beetle and is registered as a 72. It was built on 09. It has a 72 plate.

Daren Iles    on 29 September 2018

My bike was imported into the U.K. in 2015 so the v5 shows a first registered date of 2015 but the bike is manufactured in 1982, there is a note on the front of the v5 stating “ was registered and/or used . Declared manufactured 1982” . Will this vehicle be tax/MOT exempt in 2022? Thanks.

Riya Roy    on 23 December 2022

Hello everyone, my name is Riya Roy, I live in Mumbai, I give Mumbai escort service, I am happy to do this job and I am very happy to meet my customers.

Kiran Bhatt    on 27 December 2022

First and foremost, the Mumbai Call Girls Agency continues to provide high-quality support and this explains why there are so many types of fixations that are offering so many types of management that many would say there are those who are extraordinarily intelligent and also energetic.

Ritika Rani    on 29 December 2022

Welcome to Premium (Ritika Rani) Escorts Agency provides you with the best collection of escorts service in Mumbai. Our most beautiful, sexy, passionate, open-minded call girls provide a thrilling & wonderful service that will reach you at high-level satisfaction.

Monika Rathore    on 12 January 2023

Mumbai Call Girls Have Beautiful Faces And Curvy Figures, Which Can Help You Get A Sense Of Satisfaction That Will Last Forever. They Can Also Teach You The Social Skills You Need To Succeed. You Can Learn How To Have A Conversation, Make Friends, And Have Fun. These Are All Crucial Aspects Of A Healthy Lifestyle.


dipikapanday    on 13 January 2023

We can help you in finding the best Escorts Service In Connaught Place who can love you more than your girlfriend. These Indian escort girls are naughty enough to blow your mind and will ...Our agency girls are passionate about their services.

   on 23 January 2023

Really jubilant to say, your post is exciting to read. I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job
Visit Stafford Traffic Lawyer

   on 15 February 2023

Would you like to spend the evening being seen with this exceptionally attractive female escort in Guwahati on your arm while you paint the town red, and hit up all the neighborhood clubs? Definitely up to her, though. As a result, Jodhpur only offers the most desirable, affluent, and smart independent hot escorts.

yasmeen    on 19 February 2023

You want to book sexy escort girls who can make your night blissful. Then you should contact our escorts agency. Which can provide girls of your choice. The service of our escorts agency is famous all over India. In our escorts agency you can also find Russian escorts girls

ctbae    on 24 February 2023

Treat yourself to a high-quality, unforgettable experience with CTBAE call girl service. We put top female escorts at your fingertips, so find your perfect match today!

Rk Varma    on 26 February 2023

Our company is very famous for providing Call Girl Mumbai cash on delivery service within call girl service Mumbai and escort service Mumbai and our company provides escort service and call girl service in all major cities of India and we people are chatting anytime. We don’t provide such sex worker websites on rates and we don’t even hire call girls who can’t provide good service.

Edited by Rk Varma on 26/02/2023 at 05:53

Kriti Garg    on 31 May 2023

Thanks for sharing such valuable information. Artificial Grass

quintdaily    on 2 June 2023

Good one.
Thanks for the information,

Pia Sharma    on 4 June 2023

Escorts Delhi Mr Rahul Sharma Looking For Independent Call Girls Service to your Sizzling Day Night. Riya an Independent Escorts Models Give Erotic & GF Experience Girls so you can book the Warm Delhi escort at any time. Visit here

Susmita Reddy    on 7 June 2023

Our Call girls Vijayawada Service can help you ,If you fashing struggle in your Dissatisfaction your sexual Relationship ,They are providing all types of sexual service , if you feel sexual alones, you can join with us to fulfil your sexual desire with us by Vijayawada Escort.

siliguriescorts    on 18 June 2023

Thanks for sharing nice post..

As a newcomer to Siliguri, I was intrigued by the plethora of escort services advertised in town. After much research, I finally found one that caught my attention - "Siliguri Escorts Ltd." Hesitant but eager, I called the number and was met with an elderly woman who offered me her company for the day.

Twist: Turns out, "Siliguri Escorts" was actually a front for a group of elderly women trying to make a living through companionship services. While unexpected, spending the day with my new elderly friend proved to be both enjoyable and heartwarming.

   on 19 June 2023

Therefore, I, Sheetal Dubay, welcome you warmly to finding all the possibilities of love and affection in this destination. Let us fill our lives with rumens and amazing passion to make them more joyous. If no one else is willing to do that, the Udaipur Call Girl Services can be your perfect companion and partner in crime.

ritukaur    on 21 June 2023

Our ravishing Chandigarh Escorts have always focused on giving completeness to customers. Thus our agency always looks for presenting the best in front of customers. And that is the reason that we come up with the best escorts who have the potential and the skill to give the most refreshing service to clients. Here you will find gorgeous babes who have the exclusive eagerness to stand by the side of the customers for the purpose of fulfilling their sexual requirements. Well, you will never find such exceptional sexual service providers in other agencies. They are part of our firm and always connect with customers to give them unique and exotic happiness. The pleasure you receive from these babes will always help you to feel satisfied with your soul. Our independent Reply | Report as offensive | Link

Sheeker    on 24 June 2023

En caso de que enfrentes disputas o conflictos relacionados con testamentos y sucesiones, los abogado de testamentos y sucesiones pueden representarte en litigios y ofrecer una defensa sólida de tus derechos e intereses. En resumen, los testamentos y sucesiones de abogados son profesionales legales que se especializan en ayudarte a planificar y administrar tus bienes después de tu fallecimiento o los de un ser querido. Su experiencia y conocimiento legal son valiosos para asegurar que tus deseos se cumplan y que tus asuntos de sucesión sean manejados de manera adecuada y justa.

divyarastogi    on 29 June 2023

These are truly magnificent thoughts concerning publishing content to a blog. You could see your abilities in the artistic creations you compose. All of these pieces of material are manufactured related to heaps of past material. Much appreciated!! Escorts in Siliguri

Anitha    on 2 July 2023

Cool Post Body Massage

Asmitta Bansal    on 12 July 2023

Asmitta Bansal is a perfect idea for choose excellent quality of Goa escort service. Recharge your stressful mind here with happiness mood. Get holistic relaxation at affordable cost without any hassle.
Escorts in Goa

totalsportek    on 27 July 2023

What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post... TotalSportek

Saranya    on 31 July 2023

Thanks for sharing this post nude massage near me

Saranya    on 31 July 2023

Thanks for sharing this post sex massage near me

Saranya    on 31 July 2023

Thanks for sharing this post erotic massage near me

Saranya    on 31 July 2023

Thanks for sharing this post sensual massage near me

bolddelhiescorts    on 7 August 2023

Delhi Escorts is a high-class escort agency in Delhi. We offer beautiful and charming female escorts for gentlemen who appreciate beauty, class, and discretion. Our Delhi escorts are sensual, sexy, and intelligent women who know how to provide discerning clients with an exceptional girlfriend experience. If you are looking for the company of a beautiful woman in Delhi, then look no further than Bold Delhi Escorts.

topdelhigirls1    on 7 August 2023

The Capital City of India is renowned for a wide range of sophisticated and elegant female escorts. Delhi Escorts offers quality companionship services with highly-skilled women who provide professional and discreet encounters. We strive to ensure each client has an enjoyable experience that exceeds expectations. Our goal is to make sure you have the most pleasurable, stress-free experience possible.

Asifaa Escort Agency Bangalore    on 7 August 2023

Discover discreet companionship with Call Girls in Bangalore. Our professional services offer a refined and personalized experience, ensuring your privacy and satisfaction. Experience a world of companionship like never before in the vibrant city of Bangalore. Your desires are our priority.

Call Girls in Bangalore | asifaa

Edited by Asifaa Escort Agency Bangalore on 07/08/2023 at 10:28

Foreignescort    on 7 August 2023

Russian Escorts in Chennai

Indulge in the enchanting world of Russian escorts in Chennai with Our commitment to excellence, integrity, and customer satisfaction sets us apart as a trusted and premier escort service. Discover the alluring blend of Russian beauty, sophistication, and companionship that awaits you in the vibrant city of Chennai.

Ira Das    on 14 August 2023

Looking for the best Varanasi tour packages?

   on 21 August 2023

I recently delved into the topic of "Classic car tax exemption" and found it to be enlightening and extremely relevant to car enthusiasts. Understanding the nuances can certainly save owners a significant amount in taxes. But, speaking of adjustments and keeping things organized, it's similar to how data centers need to prioritize their cable management. Investing in a good cable management arm is like ensuring your classic car's paperwork is in order – it keeps everything tidy, efficient, and in optimal condition. Just as a classic car deserves its due diligence in tax exemptions, our tech setups deserve the best in cable organization!

Aliyasharmaescort    on 23 August 2023

You can book an Mumbai Escort at an affordable price with ease. Most of the agencies and Mumbai Escort Service provide excellent services to their clients. They are well-trained, experienced and passionate about their job. They will make sure that you have an unforgettable experience with them. You can also get in touch with them through their website or social media pages and find out more about them and their services. Visit Now -

Kiran Bhatt    on 28 August 2023

Browse our list of the most popular call girl in Mumbai At a reasonable price, Mumbai Call Girls Service offers gorgeous call girls in your area. Check out our collection of call girls in Mumbai right now.

   on 27 September 2023

Experience Mumbai Escorts via India's most trusted Call Girls Agency. VIP Female Escorts in Mumbai, Bombay Call Girls Service book your slot Now!!

dakshgroup    on 27 September 2023

Daksh Group is the fastest growing pharmaceutical company in the region. We offer a comprehensive range of services related to pharma franchise and PCD Pharma. Visit Now -

providentdeansgatee    on 29 September 2023

most pleasent and beautiful staying in Provident Deansgate

Swati Roy    on 29 September 2023

'm Swati Roy, an Independent escort in Mumbai. I provide discreet companionship for gentlemen who appreciate the finer things in life. Whether you are looking for a brief escape or an extended indulgence, I am here to fulfill your needs. With me, you will find a woman who is magnificent both inside and out; a woman who embodies all the qualities you seek in a confidante and lover. If you are seeking an unforgettable experience, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

girlshub44    on 30 September 2023

These services provide a safe and secure platform for individuals to meet up with attractive and available call girls in Jammu. These services provide a wide selection of beautiful and experienced call girls who can offer a range of services such as companionship, massage, and even sex.

Pallavirathore    on 1 October 2023

I am Pallavi Rathore independent female escorts in Mumbai. Who only offers elite girls discreet gentlemen for companionship and dinner dates in city area and beyond?

Prestige Kings County    on 4 October 2023

Modern and Smart Home at Prestige Kings County.

Sobha Neopolis    on 9 October 2023

New Feature home with different kind of Amenities at Sobha Neopolis.

   on 9 October 2023

Buy Modaheal 200mg Tablet stimulates the mind and makes you totally awake. It additionally relieves these irregular symptoms and regulates the sleep cycle. Modafinil 200mg tablet restores regular sleeping habits and improves your high quality of life. You will really feel extra energetic and can be capable of carry out higher in your daily actions. Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that causes excessive daytime drowsiness. The affected particular person might expertise excessive sleepiness, sleep paralysis, hallucinations, and in some cases episodes of cataplexy (partial or complete lack of muscle control).

   on 11 October 2023

Such a nice blog, thank you for sharing.

   on 16 October 2023

The utilization of sympathy cards serves as an excellent method for transmitting warm greetings and best wishes to loved ones, whether they're nearby or far away. These cards contribute a sense of personal touch and mindfulness to the sphere of digital communication.

adarsheuphoria    on 17 October 2023

informative blog article thank you for sharing this article with us.
Adarsh Welkin Park
Adarsh parkLand
Adarsh Euphoria
Prestige Park Grove
Prestige Park Grove
adarsh park heights
Prestige Park Grove
Brigade Calista

albiemiare    on 24 October 2023

With this office Group cards , we not only celebrate our milestones but also share our excitement for the untrodden path we'll explore hand in hand. Together, we're unstoppable!

Luxem Girls    on 24 October 2023

Fantastic article. Excellent reading material. I adore reading such lovely articles. Thanks!

Click here: Escort Luxembourg

Complete Homes    on 29 October 2023

Complete Homes: Your Mohali-based experts in Interior Design, Modular Kitchens, and Modern Flooring. Redefining living spaces, one design at a time. visit Interior designers in Mohali

Thank you card    on 30 October 2023

Sending a Thank you cards is a heartfelt way to express gratitude and let someone know their kindness didn't go unnoticed.    on 1 November 2023

I am Eugenia a Delhi Russian Escorts
with a sophisticated and elegant demeanor. As an experienced escort, I pride myself on providing exceptional companionship services to discerning gentlemen in Delhi. With my striking looks, captivating smile, and alluring figure, I am the epitome of grace and sensuality.

sonam gupta    on 11 November 2023

Thank you for this awesome post. it’s very informative blog thanks for sharing with us.
Ludhiana Escorts

mohitra    4 days ago

Birla Arnaa luxurious project situated next to many IT Parks and other major Institutions of Bangalore at Rajarajeshwari Nagar and strategically planned residential apartment in Bangaloreheme-based designs.

ishika verma    2 days ago

Thanks for sharing very good information...
Amritsar Escorts

Leena Rajput    20 hours ago

Thanks for sharing very good information

Jaipur Escort || Pushkar Escort Service || Mount Abu Escorts Service || Hyderabad Escort Service


   17 hours ago

Thank you for posting; this is essential data.
Looking for top Shimla Honeymoon Packages?
Visit: Shimla Manali Honeymoon Package

Tanvi Kaur    2 hours ago

Manali Couple Packages is also best for Honeymoon packages.

Add a comment


Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote