Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

February 2015

UncleAustin

Toyota ( and Suzuki ) tend to look at designs from Renault and copy them a couple of years later . the corporate "nose" of Renault is now on the fronts of Toyotas. Lets face it ,Toyota cars have no design flair whatsoever, so they look to Companies like Renault for inspiration. Read more

Jozef Oud

Just saw one of these in Tokyo today and wondered what it was. Pretty strange looking car.

I drive a Mitsuoka Ryoga, which is also a bit of a rarity. It looks a little like a 1960's Jaguar, Mitsuoka specialize in retro styled vehicles, mine is based on a 2005 (?) Nissan Sunny. The middle part is still totally Nissan but the front and back have been adapted to look like a Jag, with a nice chrome grill and double headlights. I call it a Japuar! It's even more of a head turner than the real thing and is a lot cheaper to run!

mike

when I was serving in the military we often had to improvise to get engines running and get them back to base, I have removed the king lead on my Land Rover to replace a damaged plug lead and replaced the king lead with a freshly cut sapling from a bush, it is advisable to cut spares as they dry out quickly so you need to replace them. works well Read more

bill

when the heater hose blew off my vauxhall chevette back in the late 80's while hurtling along the M6 , promptly dumping masses of steam on the window i pulled onto the hard shoulder under a bridge, bypassed the broken hose and poured in the only liquid i had on me, 6 cans of panda orangeade . it worked well as a coolant :)

John Lonergan

Sorry, Honest John. My 1989 325i (which I bought when new) is a much better car--chipped to 190+ HP and 190+ torques, 3.73 limited slip rear end, and replaced the Alpine cassette deck with an up-to-date bluetooth model and $2000 of stereo speakers. Oh, and 26 years later--it still drives like a dream!

Dishonest John in San Francisco Read more

Comment
amanjot singh

very informative welding blog and i always do mig welding as i have both lincoln and hobart in my garage. On myhelmetsguide
myhelmetsguide
myhelmetsguide
www.myhelmetsguide.com
myhelmetsguide.com
Read more

If you are looking for best auto darkening welding helmets. Then don’t you have to worry because we have cheap and lightweight auto darkening welding helmets. must visit our website and give your feedback
very informative welding blog and i always do mig welding as i have both lincoln and hobart in my garage. On myhelmetsguide
myhelmetsguide
myhelmetsguide
www.myhelmetsguide.com
myhelmetsguide.com

edlithgow

On 4th February 2015, HJ wrote:-

... Read more

peter moss

Yes tell me i owned a Scimitar it had more pimples than a hookers bum !

cheshiredolphin

does this mean that DB7 prices will now start to rise? Read more

serge

I am about to become a classic car owner, but I am not really a spanner man. Does anyone know of any basic part time or weekend courses for people like me, where I could learn more about basic maintenance, fault diagnosis and simple engine work (i.e. dealing with misfires, changing spark plugs and things at that level)? Read more

anglebox

The British Motor Museum does a course for 'classic virgins' which includes a 'hands on' element.

www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/events/classic-virgin...y

Contour Autocraft also run a short course:

www.contouracademy.com/academy-vehicle-restoration...l

As mentioned above, the AA book of the car is a handy reference guide - although you'll probably need a Haynes manual if you want to get more in depth.

After a few months of regular fettling, even a novice will be able to perform basic servicing work - changing oil, spark plugs, coolant etc and progressing on to brakes.

But the state of the body is crucial. If the panels are full of rust and you don't own a welder (or can't weld) you're going to have a very steep learning curve ahead of you.

Parts for Jaguars are also very expensive. If you can, start with something very simple like a Morris Minor, a Mini or an MGB.

No car is a doddle to work on and they all have their issues (rear spring hangers especially for the Moggy) BUT parts are much more affordable and all have great support from owners' clubs.

Good luck - and enjoy the journey.

Tenchman7

Great News! What with no 5TH GEAR for quite a while now, this is very welcome. Read more

Quizzical

Does anyone know the name of the song at the beginning of Jodie's film about the ferrari 250 GT California in episode 1? Female Soprano?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote