Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

November 2022

Thesevilseye

Hi the oil light didn't come on and I ran out if oil whiskt driving heard a small rattling then car stalled and had to be towed it won't start now any ideas on how to for this will I just put more oil in it?. Read more

skidpan

If its really run out of oil and stopped its fek'd, knackered, end of.

John Sartre

Got a ‘68 MGB that I bought with a 1950 Oselli engine that has been dry stored for a few years. I’m struggling to get it running well. It has been extensively recommissioned with a new stage 2 head, Weber, and 123 distributor. Sent it in to be set up on the rolling road and is way down on power - 65hp at flywheel. Compression is very good. Carb has been rejetted. It was in the rolling road a few years back before it was put into storage and was showing 101hp at flywheel on twin SUs and standard head. We’ve been through most obvious things. Could for some reason the cam be a tooth out (can’t think how or why…). Anyone any other thoughts? No garage locally seems to be up for going through timing! Read more

skidpan

Having noticed the tags which relate to cam belts and after re-reading the original [post I spotted

"Could for some reason the cam be a tooth out (can’t think how or why…). Anyone any other thoughts? No garage locally seems to be up for going through timing!"

which further makes me thing the OP might be assuming the car has a cam belt. It doesn't, it has a chain. If that had been fitted a link out (not a tooth on a chain) the engine would not be down on power, it would barely run. Refitting the head on a pushrod engine would not alter the timing so this is just a re herring.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote