Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

May 2015

I have a '95 2.5i with the RS body kit. 110k with full service history. It's been sat in the garage for 3 years and I'm not sure what to do with it. In a way it's been my favourite car in life and I've had a few. Lovely drive. Great performance. And it's no slouch by today's standards. They were always a little bit ahead of everything that was available at the time. The thing is these older cars are now starting to prove popular with the younger generation. I can't believe mine is 21 years old !!!

Read more

anthony richards

i have a 1996 glx in metallic red with an auto box ,it has only done 43000 miles with a full history file from new, it is in timewarp showroom condition, was my late fathers, now passed to me, and will be maintained regardless of cost now

leftfield lenny

A pity that Rover never actually sold it in the UK I think, but Honda did, with very little impact. I bought the Honda Quintet (the Rover's equivalant) brand new in 1984. Road testers of the time commented about poor utilisation of space and handling. I couldn't really comment on that because I virtually wrote the car off after 2 days in a very high speed motorway crash (my fault). But I'm alive today to testify to the toughness of the car back then. Not to rust however, there's not many of them left now in the UK. Read more

Dylan Morris

Where would you find parts for these? I have an old one and need a left indicator

Jim Holder

"It may have had its faults..." May have? Original model had a cable driven gearbox. Changing gear was a lottery, it would (eventually) find one but not the one you thought you'd selected. Cables were replaced by levers. This was an improvement in that the surprise was muted by the fact that whilst going forward reverse was no longer selected. The only good thing about tis pile of stuff was that,with the front seats folded backward, one had a half decent double bed. Somewhere to sleep while you waited for the AA with a replacement part. Read more

bobber

Some folks are getting a bit confused. NONE of the doors on the 605 were common with the 405 (look at the swage line).
ALL 4 doors on the Maxi were common with the 1800/2200 (AND the Austin 3 litre, which added quarter lights in the front doors). Gear change linkage was cable on early Maxis, change to rods on minor facelift with introduction of wooden dashboard and new grille and body side mouldings.
I think all cars of the era had dodgy electrics, not just BL. Although unreliable, relatively easy to fix. Today's electronics are inherently more reliable, but a nightmare when they go awry.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote