Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

September 2016

Philip Russell

See you at Allie Pally! Read more

hissingsid

I was always opposed to the exemption for pre-1960 vehicles and continued to have mine tested annually for my own peace of mind. In the event of an accident, whether or not my fault, a current MOT is my proof that the vehicle has been examined by a professional.

I would favour Option 2 i.e. a simplified test similar to the MOT in it's original form. Read more

Jag.1

I am in favour in bringing the exemption up to date. It was many years ago that the 1960 date was set and it should be revised to take this into account. In any event the onus is on the driver/owner to ensure the vehicle is road worthy M.O.T. or not. There must be many vehicles on the road that just scrapped through a test with advisories that have not been addressed and driven when they would no longer pass a test.

darthmaud

There's some truly shocking examples of automotive engineering in this list. Read more

Chris C

Agree with the R8's but it's a shame that early ones often have badly faded grey bumper plastics. Don't forget the Honda equivalents which are often in excellent carefully kept condition, no K series engine problems and relatively much rarer.

ronman

hi, i have a 2006 impreza 2.0 r engine . i bought the car from the previous owner in may 2015. for 1 month the car worked well. as soon as you touch the gas pedal it will shoot off, acceleration great and top speed about 190 km. as soon as i changed the rim and tyres it died. it had 16's and i put 17's, but the manual said i can make that change. it started to flat spot bad and go dead. it will crawl up small hills gas pedal to board. on flat roads as well, flat spot, dead, no acceleration. then suddenly it will take off again with a spurt but will soon die down again. on the highway 3rd and 4th gears no problems. it will fly. but it never worked again as it did the first month.i have tried to reset the ecu, but it will work better just for about 2 days and then go back again to working horribly. i have been to 5 mechanics . they said the changing of the rims will not cause that, just coincidence. i have changed new fuel filter with regulator. also the fuel pump. we put a gauge to check the psi of the pump and it held up fine- no problems.serviced the air filter. i changed the knock sensor. i replaced the air flow sensor. i serviced the injectors and throttle body four times at different mechanics. i changed the timing belt and tension-er and pulleys - . i changed the engine and transmission oils. i changed the spark plugs. sometimes on the highway the 4th gear will take long to go in and when i try to kick down, it will not and the same gear will run. the 1st and second gear will sometimes go in with a hard buck.when i apply brakes to stop, while slowing down i can feel the hard buck from the engine or there abouts as the car comes to a stop.i scanned the car at 6 mechanics! some said many sensors are bad while some say no sensors are bad.the ignition is rattling now and it is burning excess gas. i have used premium gas, super gas, super gas with octane boost - all with same results. i went back to the dealer( company ) and they told me the scanner is showing that the timing kept retarding and they don't know why. one mechanic told me to change the computer. one said that this computer cannot be reprogrammed. another said it doesn't matter changing the computer all of the same computers wil give the same problems. one said it could be the harness. now i find that even at high speeds it is not performing as good a before. now when i step on the gas pedal to drive off from stop, there is a hesitation for about 3 seconds which many times nearly caused me to get into accidents when i try to move off with on coming cars approaching. i do not know what the hell to do again. i am frustrated and tired. do you know of anyone with this problem and they were able to fix it? do you know of this problem at all? i am really looking for some help. i will greatly appreciate it. thanks for your time again. Read more

Lord Brasic

I had a 1.9 diesel, without the turbo, it had air con, used to have to turn it off when I hit hill, it was the most gutless car I have ever owned. Good job it was so comfortable as it took so long to get anywhere in it. Get one with a turbo and its a very nice car. Read more

Noddy Rae

The only Peugeot that was Galvanised was the 107 and that was only partially dipped so they suffer badly where the Zinc ends and the primer starts!
It's a very common misconception that these lovely old 405s and 306s, etc. were dipped. They were not and frankly they're all the better for it as Galvanising is more trouble than it's worth as many owners of MK4 Golfs, Reliant/Tandy Foxes and Audi 80s will confirm.

The only place where Zinc has any real chance of long term success at preventing excess corrosion in steel bodywork is in the hull of a boat and there, they replace [the Zinc] at every major overhaul. Look up "sacrificial anode". ;-)

latchedplater

Brill I rescued my one and only e type from a garage when the owner was struggling to pay the £500 bill for work on the engine. I gave him a grand for it on the understanding he could buy it back for that price within a year.The car gave me much pleasure for two years when i sold it and doubled my investment.

Wish i still owned ELA73C (an ex Simon Dee white convertible) Today

Roger 07970204007 Read more

I had an Audi 80 Sport in 1988/89 and apart from it's speed I have nothing nice to say about it. Read more

Heavy body built on 60s technology with the ride quality of a donkey cart.I hear audi still uses this winning formula in their car designs to this day.

Geoffrey New

I purchased a 300 SL new in May 1986, collected it from the factory, ran it in for two weeks in the Alps, returned fo Stuttgart for a first oil / filter change & check up. All perfect. I still have the car, it is in excellent condition, now a classic & only driven in good weather. Due to its quality build it is one of the cheapest cars I have ever run. Things do not go wrong. 30 plus years of excellent driving. So pleased with it I purchased an SL 320, which I still have, it is equally as good. They build a superb product. Service them correctly, look after them, store in a dry ventilated garage and you have excellent reliable driving for life.
Geoffrey New........ gmn2008@hotmail.com Read more

nickyd

What about the NSU TTS?

maddim

Hello, I have found a spot on Alfa 33 1.7 16v red with only 46000km on the clock. All original, the interior is like new and the paint is the original except of a front wing but no accidents. I am wondering is that an investment car in say 5-10 years? The price is very low. Read more

SLO76

Wouldn't buy it with the mindset that it'll be an investment. At best it'll increase in value enough to cover the cost of the never ending repairs and maintenance an old Alfa (or a new one) would require. If you like it then buy it and enjoy depreciation free motoring if you keep it nice and assuming you don't overpay at the start.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote