Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

February 2016

Forum Warranties
RichardN

If I bought a classic car e.g. 1990 Pug 205 GTI from a classic car dealer, would I be correct in assuming that it should come with a warranty of some sort?

Isn't there something about buying a car where you have 6 months warranty under some "sale of goods" type act?... Read more

rjbell

Yes you can reject it within 30 days or defects repaired in the first 6 months.

www.autotrader.co.uk/content/new-laws-protecting-c...t

Novice John

Dear Sir,

Recently I found that an old friend was going to sell a 1972 MGB GT, which had been lovingly cared for all its life and was now under its own cover inside a garage. (Two owners from new. Present owner has had it for 40+years)... Read more

Paul Milsom

Business and friends do not mix. Don't buy it .. it'll ruin a friendship. go find another one , get a decent one from a club member for around £4k rubber bumpers are cheaper, not so desireable, and ride inch and a half higher. chrome bumpers up oi 73 better, rust? check castle rails on chassis and "dogleg" panels by rear wheel. plus sills. all available . weak points, lever arm dampers, crappy interior. and a load of other stuff. look for overdrive. desireable.

Question N/a - Warranty
RichardN

If I bought a classic car e.g. 1990 Pug 205 GTI from a classic car dealer, would I be correct in assuming that it should come with a warranty of some sort?

Isn't there something about buying a car where you have 6 months warranty under some "sale of goods" type act?... Read more

JimC-SA

I am ex UK, leaving in 1970, and now resident in South Africa.

In the 1970s I drove both a 404 sedan and a 508 estate car for business reasons, in the service and support of heavy vehicles and heavy trailers. Both vehicles were rugged and comfortable, and the 504 especially got a hammering in carrying heavy loads in connection with my job.... Read more

Lord Brasic

The 404 405 406 and the 504 505 and 205 305, after that forget owning a Peugeot, I have has all of the one I have listed and they were grest cars, I have tried a couple of newer ones and they just don't have the bulid quality of the older ones. I have fond memories of a 404 pick I used to sell peat from the back of. It was slow and noisey but never broke down. I used a 7 seater 505 petrol estate as a taxi and again it never broke even after 435000 miles of hard use.

Its just a shame that the powers that be and the public don't realise that these older cars are kinder to the enviroment becasue they just last alot longer and use fewer replacement parts....

Mark Middleton

What's the thinking on theBMW z3model.I have a almost mint condition 17 year old 1.9 petrol manual in Atlanta blue with 51'000 miles same as the Goldeneye car except with black leather instead of tan.I don't use the car much and I was thinking to sell but I am wondering if it's value may increase and would I regret it just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or info about current or future z3 values.Thanks Mark Read more

rjbell

I would say they have hit the lowest price point now so wouldn't be the best time to sell. Although popular roadsters don't seem to fetch huge amounts in the UK. You can still buy a tidy MGB under £10k. They are popular base model for the kit car crowd so could begin to get rarer but still around 16,000 on the road. Compare that to something like a similar aged alfa spider which has less than 1,000 on uk roads or a Honda s2000 with 5,000 on the road the z3 is not partically rare. You would need to han on to it for decades rather than years.

MondeoMonkeyMagic

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen these some of the above brutes in action as a young and impressionable rally fan during the 80's. They are all terrific technical tour de forces of course, but my personal favourite was the 6R4. I have a picture of Malcom Wilson driving C867 EUU through Pundershaw (Killer Kielder Forest as it was known back then) at night. Happy days for me. Until recently, I mistakenly thought the 6R4 powerplant was a breathed on modified version of Rover's P5B/P6/SD1 3.5 Buick engine but I now believe it had a modified DFV engine. You Tube is a good place to relive these cars. Read more

SinisterPenguin

Clio 16v was my first proper hot hatch, rock hard ride, a bit low on torque - you had to red-line it to get the most from it but flippin heck it was rapid!

Was quite subtle styled for a hot hatch as well - I fondly rememeber giving bigger, faster cars like the mighty Mondeo ST24 a few suprises!... Read more

Lord Brasic

Great little cars, very easy to drive they keep up with more modern cars and offer great ride comfort for a small car. I've got two a 97 P 1.4 RT. 1 owner with 32670 miles from new and a 97 R 1.2 Biarritz two owners with only 23715 miles from new. Both are in great condition with mot. They could both be used daily but the 1.2 really would be better as a second car and taken out just for shows and the odd run to keep the miles down.

anglebox

The new British Motor Museum looks great. The Heritage Centre was good anyway, but it did feel like some of the cars were crammed in. This looks like there's a bit more space to apprecaite the exhibits. Read more

Lord Brasic

We were there on the opening day. It was our first visit and will not be our last. I could spend hours in the cinema watching those old films.

The cars themselves were very interesting, the Rover SD estate, the Jaguar XJ40 estate and the Daimler Corsica just show what BL could have done. Volvo and Mercedes were enjoying success with their estates and convertibles while BL sat by the wayside. If only someone could have had the foresight to of put one or all these cars into production we may of still had a motor industry we could be proud of....

Lord Brasic

If you're after a daliy drive with a difference this could be it. Its well upto everyday use and if you look after it will last for years. It's an easy car to own drive and look after. Some may say a little dull, but I think it looks as good today as it did when it was new. Read more

Hi, I am interested in this car where about in UK I live in Manchester please let me know my number (07759) 184435. Thank you Mo