Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

My car has been off the road since 1992 - what documents do I need to get it back on the road?

I have a 1983 Alfa GTV which has been off the road and garaged since 1992, well before SORN came in. I have the old style V5 logbook What do I need to get the car valued and sold? Would i need a new style V5C? What else would I need to do?

Asked on 12 November 2018 by steve wooldridge

Answered by Keith Moody
If you're looking to sell the car, it's good practice to swap your old logbook for a new one. To do this, send it to the DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BA with a covering letter - it's a good idea to make a copy of the documents before posting the originals and if you're worried about them getting lost you can always send them to be signed for. Alternatively, call 0300 790 6802 - you will need to have the registration number, make and model of the vehicle and the document reference number. If it's been stood since 1992, and get it running make sure you turn the engine over by hand first - remove the spark plugs to make this easier. You'll also want to drain all the old fuel out. As well as getting it valued, you really need to make a decent assessment of what it'll take to get it back on the road. Make a list of all the parts you'll need and their prices. Budget for the worst and hope for the best - it could easily be the case that the parts required quickly add up to the price of the car. If you can do the majority of the work yourself, you'll at least be able to keep labour costs down.
Similar questions
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have been offered a 1982 Renault 4 GTL but it has no paperwork. The car is in Spain on UK-plates. Can I somehow get new papers for this car so I can use it in Spain? The owner lives in London and can't...
I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?
Related models

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote