Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How do I go about taxing a classic car that's been SORN'd since 1995?

I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?

Asked on 29 March 2017 by Ian Rooke

Answered by Keith Moody
The best way to tax your car will be with a trip to your local car tax issuing Post Office. You can take your old-style V5 with you (have the change of address section filled in). You should be able to tax it there and then as long as it is insured (it doesn't need an MoT as it built before 1960), and retain the V5 to send to the DVLA for the change of address. If for any reason they won't accept the old V5, you can still tax the car using a form V62 - which means you're applying for a new V5C in your name at your current address.
Similar questions
I have a Q registration kit car which was last taxed and insured in 1990. Since then the vehicle has been in my garage. I have never declared SORN for the vehicle since at the time there was no requirement...
My car was SORN'd in September 2015. It became eligible for Historic Vehicle Status in April 2016. I assumed DVSA would automatically update details and therefore no need for me to contact them prior to...
Is there a restriction to where you can store your car after a SORN declaration? For example does it have to be on private property like driveway or garage or can it be parked on public street if my house...
Related models

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote