Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

I want to buy a UK registered car in Spain but it has no paperwork - what can I do?

I have been offered a 1982 Renault 4 GTL but it has no paperwork. The car is in Spain on UK-plates. Can I somehow get new papers for this car so I can use it in Spain? The owner lives in London and can't remember what she did as far as registration but seems to remember getting it from someone in UK then driving it to her little country villa here in Spain and it's been in the garage since. What can I do?

Asked on 19 July 2019 by Martin Langwade

Answered by Keith Moody
You'll need to let the DVLA know that the car's been permanently exported and then start the process of registering it in Spain. So the owner will have to reapply for a V5C. I believe cars over 30 years old can apply for a 'H' (heritage) numberplate in Spain but there is a cost for this. It does include certification and an ITV test (the Spanish equivalent of our MoT).
Similar questions
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have a 1983 Alfa GTV which has been off the road and garaged since 1992, well before SORN came in. I have the old style V5 logbook What do I need to get the car valued and sold? Would i need a new style...
I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?
Related models
Classless, ageless, great to drive, exceptionally practical and good fun

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote