Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How do I apply for tax and MoT exemption on my SORN'd 1967 Austin Healey Sprite?

I purchased a 1967 Austin Healey Sprite Mk4 in September 2017 and it has since been SORN'd. How do I apply for tax and MoT exemption when it comes into effect in May 2018 if I cannot get the relevant forms?

Asked on 27 April 2018 by Brent Fielding

Answered by Keith Moody
To change the tax class of your vehicle, you'll need to apply at a post office (one that handles tax). You'll need the V5C in your name (if not, you'll need to complete a V62 form and pay £25). You should also take along form V11 if you have it. Your car is MoT exempt so you'll need to fill in a V112 form. You can download and print the forms from the DVLA website or request that they are posted out to you. If you don't have access to the internet at home, your local library or a family member should be able to help.
Similar questions
I took my V5, insurance certificate and V112 (MoT exempt declaration) to the post office to tax my 1968 Morris Minor, which was currently SORN'd and is classed as 'Historic' on the V5. On the DVLA website,...
The MoT on my 1963 classic expires on 16 May 2018. Apparently the new rules come into force on May 20th. Does this mean that I'll have to have to have an MoT for the sake of four days? I'll certainly get...
My 1974 Triumph TR6 is a year from its last MoT. DVLA have taxed it at zero rate with the phrase “this vehicle may or may not need an MoT”. How on Earth do I find out? By the way, I have every intention...
Related models
Cute (especially in Mk1 'Frogeye' form), cheap to run, easy to keep on the road thanks to MG commonality, fun to drive

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote