Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Should my son contribute to repairing a burnt-out valve in a Daihatsu Sportrak he sold privately?

My son privately sold an elderly Daihatsu Sportrak through our local classifieds. The buyers explained they were unable to make the 40-mile journey to view it, but they said if he delivered it, they would pay the £750 asking price in cash without quibble. Despite some misgivings, we drove it to them and they duly paid as promised without even test driving it. They have now contacted him six weeks later to say that it has always run roughly and this has now been diagnosed as a burnt out valve which, they have been told, would not have happened overnight and would have been the case at the time of sale. Whilst the car was always a bit ‘agricultural’, he was not aware of this problem. As a result they are demanding my son pays £400 towards the £600 repair cost or takes the car back. He is sympathetic to the problem, but is he legally required to meet their demands?

Asked on 22 October 2010 by LW, via email

Answered by Honest John
Not at all. He can completely ignore the complaint. The buyer has no rights against him unless he sold the car with a serious safety defect without warning the buyer first.
Similar questions
I have a 1999 Nissan Serena FX diesel on Republic of Ireland number plates sitting on my drive. I would like to know what is the best option to get some of my money back on it. The problem is that I purchased...
I recently bought a Jaguar S-Type on an internet auction site from a trader with no reserve. The car looked good in the pictures, but only had a few months left on its MoT. Unfortunately I didn’t take...
We recently bought a Peugeot 306 for £550 with 12 months MOT and tax. The car has broken down multiple times and is also suffering electrical faults. I rang the guy I brought it off and told him I wanted...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote