Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Can I change the V5C of my 40 year old car to historic status now or do I have to wait until April next year?

My Mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier was registered in September 1978 so is now 40 years old and the tax expires 31 December. Can I change the V5C to Historic now and avoid paying tax to keep it on the road or do I have to wait until 1 April next year before I can submit the V5C change?

Asked on 6 December 2018 by Cavdriver

Answered by Keith Moody
From April 2019, all pre-1979 vehicles will be tax exempt so you will have to wait, I'm afraid. You should be able to tax it, cancel the tax and reclaim the money - but be aware that you will only be reimbursed for complete months. There's also a 5% surcharge if you pay by Direct Debit - although at least you'll only be paying for what you use (again, the complete month rule applies).
Similar questions
I have a car that will be 30 years old in August, if I tax it now, will I get a refund of the balance?
I have a Mk4 Ford Cortina registered in 1978. When is it tax free and how do I go about getting it registered as tax free?
I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance...
Related models
Good ride/handling balance, 2.0-litre version fast and reasonably frugal, roomy for four, good visibility

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote