Which products have made it into the Honest John Kit gift guides for Christmas 2019? You'll be surprised... | No thanks
Ask a Question

Does historic vehicle tax require the vehicle to be insured?

I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance and is about to be used on the road. However, could I have applied for historic vehicle tax without SORNing the vehicle - i.e. does it have to be insured for historic vehicle tax to be granted, as the Government website does not make mention of insurance certificate being required except in NI?

Asked on by

You do not have to pay vehicle tax if you have a vehicle that qualifies for historic road tax exemption, but you must still insure it if you tax it.
Similar questions
I have a 1978 Triumph Stag that becomes historic this year. It was 1st registered 1st Mar 1978. The MoT runs out 18th April 19 and the tax runs out 1st May 19. I just want to check that as the tax runs...
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have just received the log book for a recently purchased Series 2 Land Rover. It shows the taxation class as historic but there is no mention of how to, or if I have to, apply to use it on the road.

Ask Honest John