Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Why is insuring a non UK resident on a classic car so expensive?

I am the owner of a 1975 MGB GT for which I pay £106 insurance limited to 2000 miles per annum. My son, the former owner and insurer of the car has been a French resident for the past year. The insurance company want an extra £290 to insure him for the occasional time he may be able to drive the car whilst in the UK, let's say 10 times a year. Note he has a clean UK licence and is aged 47 and never been refused insurance. Would you be able to explain why the additional cost is so high and recommend a cost effective way of insuring him?

Asked on 20 November 2017 by Gareth Cooper

Answered by Tim Kelly
The increase in cost is due to your son being a non UK resident.The additional £290 is still very cheap compared to insuring him on other vehicles. Your son would need to be a UK resident for it to drop down again. Alternatively your son could try insuring the vehicle through a French insurer naming him as the driver on your vehicle in the UK. This would be the option I would try.
Similar questions
Until recently I have driven exclusively on classic car insurance. Despite never claiming, I have accrued no NCD, as these are not a feature of classic policies. That seemed a reasonable trade-off for...
I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance...
I have just bought a 2CV in good condition. It is 31 years old. How much is it to tax and insure? The MoT advises constant velocity boot deteriorated both front outer. Is this an expensive repair?
Related models
Elastic performance, ease of driving, nice soundtrack