Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Can I MoT my car even though it is exempt?

I have a 1975 Triumph Stag and would like to have it MoT’d for safety reasons. It is MoT exempt but if it fails can I still use it legally on the road?

I asked my local MoT garage and they didn’t know!

Asked on 12 April 2023 by

Answered by David Ross
Although your Triumph is MoT exempt, it still has to be kept in a roadworthy condition. If you take it in for an MoT and it fails, it has then been declared unroadworthy, so although it may still show on the DVLA's database as MoT exempt it would be illegal to drive on the road. It would also invalidate your car insurance.
Similar questions
I have a 1978 Triumph Stag that becomes historic this year. It was 1st registered 1st Mar 1978. The MoT runs out 18th April 19 and the tax runs out 1st May 19. I just want to check that as the tax runs...
There is a Triumph GT6 slowly rotting into the undergrowth in a garage area behind my son's house. The number plate can be clearly seen. Is it possible to trace the owner? Is there a GT6 owners club that...
In the privileged position of contemplating a 997.2 GT3 RS or a 991.2 GT3 touring. Obviously manual linkages are my thing having owned a string of manual 911s over the years and my current pdk equipped...
Related models
Wonderful soundtrack, great styling, brilliant parts support, and room for four.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote