Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How do I apply for historic classification of my car?

I have just received the log book for a recently purchased Series 2 Land Rover. It shows the taxation class as historic but there is no mention of how to, or if I have to, apply to use it on the road.

Asked on 21 June 2019 by David Hampton

Answered by Keith Moody
If your vehicle was built 40 years ago, it's classed as historic. This means that it's exempt from paying road tax and doesn't require an MoT. You'll need to log on to the DVLA website and enter your registration to check it's tax 'status'. You do need to renew and declare that the vehicle is MoT exempt/roadworthy every 12 months. Remember that your insurance will only cover you if the vehicle is roadworthy so if you have any doubts about whether or not it's up to scratch you should either inspect the vehicle yourself or take it to a garage that can give it the once over for you.
Similar questions
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance...
My MGB Roadster was registered 01-01-1981. What date will it be eligible to be classed as a historic vehicle?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote