Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Can I transfer a registration from a 40 year old car?

Can I transfer a registration from a 40 year old car that is tax and MoT exempt?

Asked on 25 September 2018 by Mike Howard

Answered by Keith Moody
Yes you can. According to the DVLA, 'Vehicles which are licensed in the historic tax class, and are exempt from MOT requirements solely because of the age of the vehicle and not because of its construction or build, can have a voluntary MOT undertaken to enable the vehicle to be considered for personalised registration purposes.'
Similar questions
I have an old car in the shed that has not run for 20 years and would like to sell the number plate which has some value. How can I do this?
I have a BSA C15 that was last taxed in 1987 and is not on a SORN. How do I sell the plate?
How can I retain the registration of my vehicle if it is still on the vehicle (in case it is written off)? The DVLA website only seems to deal with transfers or removals.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote