Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How can I sell the registration plate from an old motorcycle that's not been taxed for 30 years?

I have a BSA C15 that was last taxed in 1987 and is not on a SORN. How do I sell the plate?

Asked on 25 September 2019 by john lester

Answered by Keith Moody
Provided that the registration mark is not a non-transferable registration mark (this will be noted in the Special Notes section of the V5C Registration Certificate), then it is possible to remove it from the vehicle in order to sell it. A non-transferable registration mark cannot be removed from the vehicle.

In order for a vehicle to be eligible for the DVLA transfer scheme, it will need to have valid road tax (even if the vehicle is tax exempt and the tax rate is free) or have had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years. It will also need a valid MOT certificate (even if the vehicle is MOT exempt). In some cases, the DVLA will also require the vehicle to undergo an inspection.

Once the registration has been removed from the vehicle, the DVLA will issue the vehicle with another age-related registration mark - in this case, the replacement will be a dateless style registration mark (these were issued to vehicles between 1903 and 1963). The replacement will be non-transferable.
Similar questions
I have an old car in the shed that has not run for 20 years and would like to sell the number plate which has some value. How can I do this?
Can I transfer a registration from a 40 year old car that is tax and MoT exempt?
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote