Singer built its first car in 1905 after graduating from bicycles and motorcycles. The company found success with the Ten in 1912, and during the 1920s rose to be Britain’s third largest car maker. Billy Rootes bought 50 Tens and used the profits from selling them on to start his own firm. The '30s recession hit Singer hard, and the firm had barely recovered when war broke out.
Things were no better afterwards, and in 1955 it became another badge picked up by the Rootes Group. The cars retained their overhead-cam engines for a few years, then became Hillmans with a fancy grille and interior. Chrysler canned the marque in 1970.