Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

oil for older or clasic cars

Item I have just read about oil for older classic cars and why modern oil appears to be dangerous.

Situated on a site that you would not normally expect to find it on.

The author is writing about the good old US of A, but comments cover GB as well.

www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2010/11/tribology

Comments

dadbif    on 9 November 2010

Excellent article, thanks.

SteveLee    on 9 November 2010

You could buy quality "classic" 20W/50 oil at Morris Lubricants in bulk (25L), support British industry - all for the equivalent of £2.68p per litre.

And no, I don't work for them!

www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/Scripts/prodview....M

colynn    on 10 November 2010

Thanks for the link to this site. It appears excellent.

Yes I agree totally Buy British whenever possible. Otherwise no wonder Blighty is close to bankrupt

SteveLee    on 10 November 2010

I use their classic oil in my Imp and their modern stuff in my bike - the bike's gearbox is sweet as a nut with Morris oil, gearboxes don't lie! Castrol, for instance, makes my bike's gearbox feel like a box of rusty spanners, Mobil 1 is the only other oil that seems to do the trick.

Roly93    on 10 November 2010

Very interesting I never knew all of this. I just assumed that newer oils were automatically super-good at lubricating and not breaking down. I knew that some oils had molybdenum in them but I didn't realise they used zinc to preserve the tappet surfaces.

My PD engined Audi needs the special 507 spec oil due to the extreme pressure the cam driven injectors give to the oil. How do they get around this issue without the Zinc ?

sandy56    on 11 November 2019

Common knowledge not to use modern oils in old cars.
Even Halford's advised me not to use modern oils in my 1950's engines, and the lad found the correct oil, but wasn't in stock!
I was surprised to read the article about old cars having problems, very strange, most classic car mechanics are well aware of this.

Add a comment

Ask Honest John