Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

Clio 1.2 Erratic running

My colleague's got a 51 plate Clio 1.2 16V petrol which is playing up a bit. While back it was refusing to start, so new lambda sensor was fitted. OK for a while then it didn't want to go again. This time the 'injection' relays were replaced as they were corroded. He has just been away for 2 weeks and had trouble getting it going when he came back, had to take the battery off a couple of times before it would start and run. At idle it occasionally misses, but a couple of times it just refuses to respond to the throttle, usually coming back after a moment or two. I wondered about coolant temp sensor, but it seems to idle at about 1200 cold, dropping back to 800 or so when warm as expected, and doesn't seem to be using excessive fuel. Has the feel of an earth fault on the ECU to me, or maybe the ECU is developing a dry joint? Rather vauge set of symptoms I'm afraid, just wondering if anybody's got any thoughts to common weak points.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....

Asked on 19 April 2005 by RichardW

Tags: technical issues battery life named drivers batteries battery charging

4 answers

Add a comment

Related questions
I'm having battery charge problems with my Rover 75 CDTi. I get dashboard warnings that all go away when you charge the battery, but return twenty miles afterwards.
An electrical fault is draining the battery if my car is not used regularly. What fault could this be and what should I do to rectify the fault?
BMW quote up to 148mpg, battery mileage up to 25 miles for my BMW 330e. I can only attain 58 mpg and battery range between 6.8 and 12 miles. I feel I have been misled badly by BMW. I would value your opinion...
My car could be off-road for up to six months, how should I look after it?

Ask Honest John