Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How times have changed

A couple of weks ago I was looking out of a pub window at the two rows of cars in the car park. On the left were four Audis and one Skoda. On the right were three BMWs, one Yaris and one Focus. At least not an MPV nor SUV in sight. Not so many years ago the majority would have been Vauxhall, Ford, Austin, Morris and Rover.

Comments

A3 A4    on 28 April 2014

Definitely! I often wondered what would have happened if VW had bought Rover instead of BMW and done a 'Skoda' on them.

Would we today see British built Rover, Austin or Morris variants of VAG products, an MG version of the Golf GTi maybe, or a VW Mini?

Edited by A3 A4 on 28/04/2014 at 22:42

drd63    on 28 April 2014

Possibly a better fit given that VW are equally guilty of the cynical badge engineering which helped give BL such a bad name.

davecooper    on 29 April 2014

And this is the primary reason why I would not buy a BMW, Merc or VAG car! I think the old Mr average who was known as Mondeo man should now be 3 Series or A4 man!

Sofa Spud    on 29 April 2014

QUOTE:...""Definitely! I often wondered what would have happened if VW had bought Rover instead of BMW and done a 'Skoda' on them.""

Or what would have happened if Morris Motors hadn't turned down the offer to buy Volkswagen after World War 2 !

QUOTE:...""Possibly a better fit given that VW are equally guilty of the cynical badge engineering which helped give BL such a bad name.""

VW do 'platform sharing' rather than badge engineering, with one or two exceptions. They share the mechanical bits and floorpans, so that Skoda and Seat are basically bodybuilders, who design alternative styles for cars based on VW components. British Leyland, particularly the former BMC part, took badge engineering to extremes, with the 1100/1300 saloon made in 6 different brands, with all that differed being the badges, grilles and in some cases the bonnet shape.

For years Rolls-Royce and Bentley were totally badge engineered, with the only differences being the badges, the radiator grilles and slightly different bonnets to match the outline of the grille. Oh, I nearly forgot - Bentley speedometers read up to 140 mph, while RR ones only went up to 120 mph, although the cars were identical mechanically.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/04/2014 at 15:23

Ed V    on 29 April 2014

I wonder if the cars in a company car park now in fact simply reflect a wealthier population? So many more now can afford the better quality cars whether it is because their employer pays for it or the employee.

My first company car was an XR3; I'd guess today my successor 35 years on would be in an M-Sport.

Robin Reliant    on 29 April 2014

Or what would have happened if Morris Motors hadn't turned down the offer to buy Volkswagen after World War 2 !

It would have gone bust in the eighties after bleeding the taxpayer dry.

birjesh    on 2 August 2020

I wonder if the vehicles in an organization vehicle leave now in truth basically mirror a wealthier populace? Such a large number of all the more presently can manage the cost of the better quality vehicles whether it is on the grounds that their manager pays for it or the representative.

groaver    on 29 April 2014

At least not an MPV nor SUV in sight.

No MPVs or SUVs??!!

Where in timewarp are you?

Trilogy    on 29 April 2014

At least not an MPV nor SUV in sight.

No MPVs or SUVs??!!

Where in timewarp are you?

April 2014. ;)

siljathomas    on 13 July 2020

Now I wonder if parking with a business parking lot means a wealthy population. Now many vehicles can achieve high efficiency, either because the owner pays it or because the employee pays it.

Add a comment

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote