Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

"Brand new" Triumph Herald for sale

www.newcarnet.co.uk/Triumph_news.html?id=13177

Comments

brum    on 23 September 2013

The new owner had better check that chassis and outriggers - they rust to dust whether driven or not.

My first car was a Herald - while it lasted it was,for me, a sublime car - the epitomy of laid back Britishness. Stupidly easy to work on the engine which then seemed ,in my eyes, a peach.

But chassis and bodywork rotted away as quicky as a tomato plant grows........I only had it about 2 months before I decided to restore it, cost me a fortune (I was 18) in chassis bits but everywhere the welding torch touched, it just crumbled away. Then one night, some shyster stole the engine/gearbox. Police finally found it - it was being put in some RAF officer's car!

Bromptonaut    on 23 September 2013

Report suggests it's been in some sort of controlled storage but even so there's likley to be evidence of tinworm. Unless it's been run regularly and moved to avoid flatspotted tyres etc then plenty other problems are likley too.

Also going to need a new, non transferable, age appropriate plate unless the original is on retention.

Wackyracer    on 23 September 2013

incidently there is a similar Herald on autotrader with 92miles on the clock for about £19,000 iirc.

Doc    on 23 September 2013

Also going to need a new, non transferable, age appropriate plate unless the original is on retention.

Why would this be? SORN did not come in until 31st January 1988, and the garage owner presumably is the registered keeper since a few years after 1961.

Reg. numbers do not expire if the vehicle is not used for long periods.

Sofa Spud    on 23 September 2013

There must be a sizeable 'diaspora' of ultra-low-mileage old vehicles around the world,

Add a comment

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote