Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How do I register an old car if the reg number isn't recognised by the DVLA?

I took my old car off the road over 30 years ago and pushed it to the back of my garage while I concentrated on my newer car. I recently moved house and sent in the old brown log book to the DVLA to register my new address. They responded saying that the registration was not known to them. How do I go about getting the car re-registered with its original number?

Asked on 9 February 2018 by Graham

Answered by Keith Moody
You may be able to register an old vehicle under its original registration number. To do this, you'll need to fill in form V765 (Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number) and get form V765 endorsed by a vehicle owners’ club (one that's registered with the DVLA). You'll also need to provide a recent photo of the vehicle and documentary evidence that links it to the original number, eg the original log book, and send the forms to ‘K and R’ at DVLA (K and R, DVLA SA99 1ZZ).
Similar questions
If you take a car out of long term storage and drive it home to be garaged without tax or SORN, what would happen if the police stopped you? The car is insured.
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have an old car in the shed that has not run for 20 years and would like to sell the number plate which has some value. How can I do this?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote