Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Import duty and taxes - is this right?

What would the import charges be for importing a 1966 Ford Mustang from the USA? Do you have to register the car before it arrives?

Asked on 6 October 2015 by jwyelvis

Answered by Honest John
It's complicated. But if the car is more than 30 years old and has not been substantially altered from its original state, you avoid the normal 10% EC import duty + 20% VAT and pay only 5% duty on your 'Binding Tariff Information' (BTI) of the invoice price and shipping costs. No ESVA test for cars more than 10 years old.
Similar questions
I have recently bought a 1985 Pininfarina Spider Europa (Fiat 124). It is in good condition but I am currently refurbishing neglected areas. The catalytic converter has been removed by a previous owner...
I'm interested in buying a car from someone who has kept the car in Spain. The car is a classic and is registered in the UK, with a UK owner, who has an address in the UK. If I buy the car, I would pay...
I'm a Brit who's lived in the US for the last seven years. We are relocating next year to the UK and can bring two cars tax free - one for me and one for the wife. We have to own them six months here in...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote