Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

I have an old vehicle with a V5 which has been stored for 30 years. It has no SORN. Can I now get one without penalty?

I have have an old vehicle which I have stored for 30 years. I do have a V5 for it but no SORN. I have been abroad for many years and was not aware that I need to have one. Can I now obtain a SORN without some financial penalty and if not, what will the penalty be?

Asked on 7 October 2012 by Edward Meadowcroft

Answered by Honest John
Yes. SORN came in a few years ago but if the car had been off the road since before that date there is no problem. It only applied to vehicles taken off the road since that date.
Similar questions
I am a bit of a prat. I have a 1972 MG midget 1275, the car has not run for 15 years. I moved house 10 years ago and with all the activity I did not regester it at our new address. I therefor do not have...
I live in Enfield where i have to pay ULEZ. Vehicle is currently off road declared SORN, however I want to get the vehicle back on road in a month or two. I covered only 200 miles a year prior to ULEZ. I...
I've had my 1986 Vauxhall Cavalier Convertible Mk2 for a couple of years now and have enjoyed driving it in good spells of weather. Is there any advantage in declaring the car SORN for the cold months...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote