Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks


I have been given your name by a friend so I am writing to see if you can give me any guidance on my car. It is a black MGBGT registered in October 1979, has a current MOT and is taxed and insured. I have come to the conclusion that I should sell it. My husband has died and I cannot drive two cars. I have a cherished number plate - 12 SPJ - it has been suggested that I take the number off the car and put it on retention. I have the original number of the car, which I understand could be put back on it. The feeling is that I would probably get more for the number plate when I come to sell it if it is separate from the car. It is sad to sell the car but I do not want to see it deteriorate. I look forward to your comments.

Asked on 3 January 2009 by

Answered by Honest John
Try these classic car auction houses to sell the car for you without you being involved:

Yes, better to separate the reg from the car. Put it on a retention
certificate and re-register the car with a date related plate. Your original reg may still be available. More on that at
Similar questions
I have offered my 1996 Daihatsu Grand Move service manual on eBay and on the Daihatsu Owners Club, free plus cost of postage. I have had no interest. Have you any suggestions please?
I am the daughter-in-law and also executor of a man that passed away in November last year. He has on his lawn an Austin A90 Atlantic which is very much in bad repair and will need an awful lot of restoration....
I am 65 years old and have owned my Jensen Healey since 1977. It is just starting to increase in value due to it's rarity.I am considering selling in the next couple of years and would like to replace...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote