Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How can I get the DVLA to recognise my 1950s classic without any supporting documents?

The DVLA has rejected my application to register my split screen 1952 Volkswagen UVK 323 for which they have no record. The car was last used on the road in the early seventies and I have owned it for 42 years but only now have had it restored. I want to use the original number plates but do not have any old tax discs/mot documents to support the application. Can you advise please on a way I can achieve this?

Asked on 17 June 2019 by Shaun

Answered by Keith Moody
If a vehicle was not in use when the centralised record was established, DVLA will now have no record of it. In order for DVLA to reissue an original number under the V765 scheme they require a contemporary document which shows both the chassis number and the registration being claimed. The preferred document is an old VE60 or RF60 logbook but other evidence will be considered, this can be, for example, invoice/bill of sale, service book, insurance details or MoT details. A tax disc alone is not acceptable as it does not show the chassis number.
We spoke to Ian Edmunds at the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs. He said, 'It appears that in this case no suitable evidence is available. If that is the case the owner will have to apply for a ‘first registration’, that is to say the first registration onto the current system. If suitable evidence of the date of manufacture is provided DVLA will issue an age-related registration. The owner will need to seek the assistance of a relevant club.'
Similar questions
My BSA was registered in October 1979. When does it become eligible for historic status as far as DVLA is concerned? Their website suggests they have only got up to January 1979.
I have an old car in the shed that has not run for 20 years and would like to sell the number plate which has some value. How can I do this?
I have a BSA C15 that was last taxed in 1987 and is not on a SORN. How do I sell the plate?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote