Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

If I opt for classic car MoT exemption will I still be able to present my car for an MoT in that same road tax year?

I have a 1977 MGB that I have recently registered as a vehicle of historic interest. I understand I still have to tax it annually but the charge is £0. I also understand that when I tax it I can opt to be exempt from the MoT. If I opt for the MoT exemption will I still be able to present it for an MoT in that same road tax year should I so wish or will the MoT computer at the garage not recognise it?

Asked on 8 January 2019 by John Serenyi

Answered by Keith Moody
You would still be able to MoT your car - although if it fails you'll need to get it fixed. Your insurance requires you to keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition so we'd always recommend getting your classic checked over.
Similar questions
I'm looking to buy a 1970s MGB GT V8. An original car will be classed as an historic vehicle affecting the need for tax and MoT. Many of the originally 1800cc cars were later converted to V8 by transplanting...
Both my Renault R16s are almost 50 years old and have tax exemption as they are registered as historic. Do I need to fill in a V112 form as well? Furthermore is it legal to drive in the EU (France) and...
Does a campervan registered in 1978 need an MoT?
Related models
Good to look at, fun to drive, amazing parts availability, the archetypal classic roadster and coupe

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote