Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Is it legal to drive in the EU and Switzerland in a classic car that's MoT exempt?

Both my Renault R16s are almost 50 years old and have tax exemption as they are registered as historic. Do I need to fill in a V112 form as well? Furthermore is it legal to drive in the EU (France) and also Switzerland without an MoT.

Asked on 4 June 2019 by Richard.Allen.

Answered by Keith Moody
We spoke to the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs about this. Bob Owen, legislation director, said, 'The current UK MoT exemption regime is designed specifically to comply with the requirements of the European Union Directive on Roadworthiness Testing. As such, any vehicle entitled to exemption in the UK is entitled to travel in France and in any other of the EU countries without an MOT Certificate. The legal position is clear. Of course, I cannot promise what will be the position if and when Brexit proceeds.'
Similar questions
Why is the Northern Ireland Assembly not implementing the 40 year MoT exemption to harmonise with the rest of GB?
Does a campervan registered in 1978 need an MoT?
I have a 1978 Triumph Stag that becomes historic this year. It was 1st registered 1st Mar 1978. The MoT runs out 18th April 19 and the tax runs out 1st May 19. I just want to check that as the tax runs...
Related models
Comfortable, practical, fast in TX form, and full of character

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote