Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

AC AC 2-litre DHC and Buckland (1285 - 1947)

Last updated 11 May 2018

Good to drive, smooth six-cylinder power, great owners' club
Genteel cars that have been overshadowed by their more glamorous successors
were produced
Read Owners' Reviews


AC was another British manufacturer which resumed car production after world war two using a development of its pre-war products. Given that AC's cars were quality low-volume items anyway, and their appeal translated into the new era pretty effectively.  The 2-litre in two-door saloon and touring form was, powered by its gently sporting 2.0-litre six-cylinder engine, formed the heart of the range. A four-door was added to the range in 1953, by which time the already ageing triple-carb AC engine’s output had risen from 74bhp to 85bhp.

Bodies were built the traditional way - aluminium over a wood frame and steel chassis; suspension also harks back to days past with solid axles and transverse leaf springs at each end of the car. At least the dampers are hydraulic: an AC first. Cable rear brakes are fitted to early cars, with an all-hydraulic system from 1951. The DHC (drophead coupe) version of the saloon was in production for just one year, so few were built and all went for export – though most were still right-hand drive. However, the Buckland tourers were far more numerous. They were more rounded and featured a fold-flat windscreen. Later examples also received cutaway doors for an even more sporting look, though mechanically they were identical to the saloons - and therefore, not that exciting to drive. Just solid and rewarding.

Next: Specifications