Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Future classic cars

I was in the local supermarket car park and saw a car that keeps catching my eye. It was 2004 Audi A4 Cabrilet 3.0 TDI. It's quite gorgeous, certainly a classic in the making.

Also the original Audi TT and BMW Z3 spring to mind. These are not quite there, however, they must be on the cusp.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

unthrottled    on 31 January 2012

It was 2004 Audi A4 Cabrilet 3.0 TDI. It's quite gorgeous, certainly a classic in the making.

Change the 4 to a 5 and you're there. The A4 convertible looks bulbous and ungainly in comparison. The A5 is the best looking convertible out there.

475TBJ    on 31 January 2012

Mr unthrottled, The A5 does look quite gorgeous. Still I do like the A4. The dashboard in the A4 is much better, simply elegant and the lines of the A4 are simpler, less fussy. Quite possibly looks superior before the P5 Rover style grille.

Edited by 475TBJ on 31/01/2012 at 22:38

Avant    on 31 January 2012

Interesting, as I have been wondering just that about my Y-registered Z3. It cost me £8,000 when it was seven years old, and it's probably now worth between £4k and £5k.

This model wasn't well reviewed by the testers when new, largely because they expected it to be a sports car when it's really a grand tourer. I ought to flog it to reduce debt, but it's tempting to hang on to it both for the enjoyment and for the possibility that it won't depreciate much more if at all. Probably a few years to go before it starts gaining, when there are fewer of them about.

Craigdm    on 1 February 2012

Picking up my Z3 on saturday. I wasn't a fan when they first came out, but came round to the idea when I moved house and noticed 2 of my new neighbours had them as weekend cars.

Certainly don't think they will get any cheaper, I picked up a clean 2 owner 2000my 2.0 with windbreak and chrome luggage rack for only £2600.

Edited by Craigdm on 01/02/2012 at 10:03

ohsoslow    on 1 February 2012

The Mk1 MX-5 has to be a strong contender here. It was the car that was responsible for the new interest in small cheap sports cars, everything that the Sprites, Midgets, Spitfires etc should have become.

Yes, I am a 5 fan.

Edited by ohsoslow on 01/02/2012 at 18:16

grimep    on 2 February 2012

I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks the Fiat Multipla (pre facelift) was one of the freshest, uniquest and funkiest designed cars on the road. Its only problem imo is the small boot. I guess 3 seats in the front and space-age looks isn't for everyone.

475TBJ    on 2 February 2012

I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks the Fiat Multipla (pre facelift) was one of the freshest, uniquest and funkiest designed cars on the road. Its only problem imo is the small boot. I guess 3 seats in the front and space-age looks isn't for everyone.

I like this Multipla. Do you know which mammal inspired the design?

Oilyman    on 2 February 2012

Before anyone else says it - BMW 850i.

Trilogy    on 2 February 2012

MG ZT, the last and best from Rover.

Renault Megane Scenic.

Oli rag    on 3 February 2012

It has to be a Citroen C6 for me, not many around,future classic.

Sofa Spud    on 3 February 2012

My list:

BMW Z3 - has to be the top contender.

Mercedes A-Class (1st generation)

VW Golf Mk 6 - in fact all golfs, probably

Mini Metro Mk 1. - because there are so few left due appalling rust.

Ford Focus Mk 1 - because of its unusual if not entirely successful styling.

Alfa Romeo 156

Toyota Prius - because of its technology - the original dumpy Prius saloon is probably already collectable.

MGF, MG TF - because they've got the MG badge, they were among the last cars built by a British mass-market manufacturer, and were the belated answer to all those enthusiasts who demanded a mid-engined MG over the years!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/02/2012 at 11:09

jaffa    on 3 February 2012

Without a doubt my car. Peugeot 406 Coupe V6, mine is 12 years old and still looks good

Bobbin Threadbare    on 3 February 2012

I reckon Ford Cougar is edging into this territory. They're 'rare' and if you can find a decent V6 version you get a lot of power for a very low price!

richardcroft    on 3 February 2012

Any pre-1993 Saab. The real Saabs e.g 95/96/99/900 particularly turbos and convertibles.

Renault Avantine - an acquired taste.

Any Toyota MR-2. I think MK1 and 3 are the purest.

Audi A2 - never sold as well as it should have. Nevertheless, very special.

Ford Puma - delighful car based one the best Fiesta.

Vauxhall VX220 - the Lotus Elise's poor relative - much better value - virtually as good.

Vauxhall Senator - the last one - loved by police - with good reason

Skoda Fabia vrS MK1.

Bleep    on 4 February 2012

FIAT Coupé.

We've had our 1997 20VT from new. It's currently at 173k miles and continues to be utterly reliable.

Trilogy    on 4 February 2012

FIAT Coupé.

We've had our 1997 20VT from new. It's currently at 173k miles and continues to be utterly reliable.

I like those.A drove one about 10 years ago. It sounded wonderful, but that's an awful lot of power to put through front wheels. Stunningly fast and felt like a dog that wanted to go for a walk. 911 Turbo acceleration.

Add a comment

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote