Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Which car might become collectable?

Up to say £15,000 which modern car is most likely to become collectable over say the next 5 /10 years? For older classics which car might offer similar characteristics to say a Triumph Stag for a similar budget? Thanks Ian

Comments

Avant    on 30 September 2013

Welcome to the forum. I've edited your title in the hope that it may attract more discussion.

I wouldn't think that the main characteristic of the Triumph Stag (appalling unreliability) was one which would encourage collectability! Factors which might lead to it could be rarity (e.g. Bristol), illogical quirkiness (Renault Avantime); but mainly good design and good driveability, coupled with a position upmarket enough not to be too numerous.

Perhaps Mercedes estates before the downturn in quality; VW Golf GTI marks 1, 2, 6 and 7; and the Morgan 3-wheeler. Bekow £15,000 good cars are too common on the ground, poor ones not likely to be collectable. Maybe the Suzuki Swift Sport is an exception to that?

Edited by Avant on 30/09/2013 at 19:12

Andrew-T    on 30 September 2013

Avant, since the title is yours, please define collectability. Does it mean (a) a dwindling number of nice vehicles with a small but dedicated following or (b) a car which can be expected to appreciate in value, or (c) both ?

Avant    on 30 September 2013

Andrew T - I tried to define collectability in my second para above, but you've done it in terns of the effect of the factors I mentioned. I would think that (a) and (b) usually combine, so yes, (c) both.

Paul Milsom    on 22 January 2017

future collectibles Mk1 GTIs pug / vw.... mk1 Mr2

craig-pd130    on 30 September 2013

It's a good question. Gambling on the future collectibility of a car is always risky, as Avant said, the car has to be rare for one reason or another (either not many made in the first place, or short model lifespan).

HJ actually covered this topic earlier in the year, I agree with some of these, disagree with others: http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-future-classics-for-gbp10000/

Looking at cars from the last 10 years or so, my personal opinion is that the following cars might appreciate in value, if they avoid the "Nissan 200ZX" trap of becoming just a cheap, fast, car for wealthier young lads:

- Golf R32 (the trend for engine downsizing means there'll probably never be another 6-cylinder Golf)

- Mazda RX8 (last of the rotaries)

- Vx Monaro (relatively rare V8 muscle from the GM parts bin)

RT    on 30 September 2013

It's a risk/guess situation - if it were predictable we'd all be buying that model so prices would be sky high now.

IMO, it has to be a low volume car and not a low volume variant of a high volume model.

Of the suggestions already made, only the Vauxhall Monaro/VXR would get me interested.

Edited by RT on 30/09/2013 at 10:43

Ed V    on 30 September 2013

Agree the R8 is highly likely, although fuel issues might restrict collectors to professionals!

What about the Citroen C6;

the original Corsa (once all but a few have gone to the scrap yard) since its looks improve with age;

daveyK_UK    on 30 September 2013

what was the big engined sports car rover-mg sold just before they went bust?

sure to be a future classic.

72 dudes    on 30 September 2013

the original Corsa (once all but a few have gone to the scrap yard) since its looks improve with age;

Nope, don't think so!

The C6 is a good example, depreciation is currently horrendous, but in 10/15 years time, afficianados will view it as a desirable, last of the quirky Citroens.

Similarly the final Saab 9-5, launched just before Saab became no more. Hardly any sold, prices now dropping fast, but in 15 years time will be rare and possibly sought after.

mss1tw    on 30 September 2013

- Golf R32 (the trend for engine downsizing means there'll probably never be another 6-cylinder Golf)

- Mazda RX8 (last of the rotaries)

- Vx Monaro (relatively rare V8 muscle from the GM parts bin)

Really good guesses! I think maybe the new Scirocco...?

Alvor1    on 4 October 2013

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Most helpful!
I have since discovered other parts of the site I had not previously reached and
will continue looking at various alternatives
Many thanks
Ian

Sofa Spud    on 10 January 2017

If any mass-produced car of recent years has 'future classic' written all over it, it's is the BMW Z3.

veloceman    on 11 January 2017

In know I am probably biased but a decent Alfa 916 GTV with the 3.0 litre Busso engine is tipped to increase in value in the next few years. However make sure you get a good one with a decent history. These don't rust like the Alfas of old, are surprisingly reliable and you won't get a better sounding engine this side of a Ferrari.
You'll pay upwards of 4K for a decent one, not sure how quickly prices are moving at the moment but you are at least guaranteed zero depreciation and bucket loads of fun.

SLO76    on 11 January 2017

Z3 and GTV are both bound for classic status despite neither being dynamically at the top of their game even when new. They're both very pretty cars and style is what classic cars are largely about. Plus that Alfa V6 is a glorious thing. Shame they replaced it with an engine from a Vauxhall Vectra in the Brera.

Another modern car I think is due for classic status is Fords Puma which was an outstanding little car in its day, very attractive yet dynamically brilliant and running zesty Yamaha designed engines with cheap and easy to source parts except body panels. The fact they're all rotting away will only enhance the value of well maintained survivors.

No idea why Ford didn't replace it. The current Fiesta would make a great basis for a next gen Puma especially with the zingy lightweight 1.0 Ecoboost with up to 140bhp or the 1.6 ST unit.

khcomp    on 12 January 2017

I'd agree - you can pick a very decent one up for around £1,000 - £2,000 still, and I was stunned at the recent Classic car show at the NEC to see a company offering a selection of 'modern classics' for sale including a basic 1.9 Z3 - manual roof, cloth seats, etc. (albeit with low miles and in good condition, despite a pretty poor looking respray) for £6,000 which was attracting a great deal of interest.

I also think that there's a lot of 1980's & '90s Japanese stuff that's becoming very rare - Mk2 & 3 Honda Preludes, Honda CRX models & the like; I always fancied a 1980's Nissan Silvia in my youth - they are now extremely rare..

SLO76    on 12 January 2017

Wish I could step back to my days as a salesman for a Mitsubishi dealer and grab one of the occasional Starions that came through for peanuts.

Ryanfuego    on 22 June 2017

Old soviet cars are very rare, My uncle has old Lada 1980 edition, there are many clients who ant to buy but he says that this is part of his life. So maybe you can collect something like that

John F    on 24 September 2018

I didn't buy it with this in mind, but I would be pleased if my aluminium Audi A8 SWB W12 sport quattro became a classic. It ticks the boxes - only a few were made, and only about sixty made it to the U.K . in 2005 with right hand drive. It is a superb piece of engineering, a direct descendant of the VW Phaeton which was commissioned by Ferdinand Piech (of Porsche 917 and Audi quattro fame) to be better than anything by Mercedes. Most people have never heard of it and I know of no coverage or reviews by the British motoring press. It was a stop-gap between the old D2 S8 and the D3 S8 which used the V10 Lambo engine (same power, less torque). If you can find one, and it took me six months to find mine, it will probably be much less than £15,000 - at present.

Add a comment

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote