Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Jaguar XJ6 - fix or sell?

I recently bought a 1997 Jaguar XJ6 for £700. The sale included a private plate. Since then, I've spent £360 replacing the rear driveshaft because of bearing issues. My local mechanic now tells me it needs new springs, front brakes and tyres.

I cannot decide whether to have the work done or get rid before the MoT runs out. It's a lovely car, but as a poor student I am struggling to keep the poor old girl on the road. I would appreciate some sensible advice on what to do?

Asked on 18 May 2016 by Mark

Answered by Honest John
You're facing having to spend around £1500 on the car. The sensible advice is to transfer the reg to a retention certificate while the Jag is still taxed and MoTd. Then sell the car, simply because the bills are just going to escalate and if it gets damp inside next winter it will be a nightmare.
Similar questions
My old Jaguar XJ has failed the MoT and will cost too much to fix. The engine is in very good order and it has four good tyres, but footwell corrosion resulted in its MoT fail. What should I do with the...
I'm thinking of buying a Jaguar XK8 convertible, but can't stretch to the 5.0-litre, which model/year would be best and what should I look out for?
My son would like a modern classic car. However it would have to be his main car and be up to being used daily all year round. Are there any cars suitable for this?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote