Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Will the new VED rules effect classics?

Do the new regulations on road tax in any way change the "Tax Exempt" status of classic cars? Also what now will be the process to move a classic from SORN to on the road?

Asked on 27 September 2014 by JollyJack92

Answered by Honest John
Each time keepership changes the new keeper will need to reapply for tax exemption. SORN is non transferable. You can't trasnsfer SORN when you sell a pre 1974 classic. The new keeper either has to apply for tax exempt status for a year or apply for his own SORN if he doesn't wish to insure the car.
Similar questions
We bought our 65-plate BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer last January. One of the reasons for the purchase was the low VED for £20. However, we have just received our renewal and are being asked to pay £110. Has...
In your review section you state that the CO2 emissions for the 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK200 auto is 192 g/km. Yet, on the V5 for my 2004 model, it shows 211g/km which puts it into a higher tax bracket....
Further to the information that you gave to the Mazda owner last week, I would like to add the following in your defence. The owner did not state what mileage he had covered. Generally, engines tend to...