Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Is there a way to get a SORN'd car from A to B without insurance and tax?

Is there a way to get a SORN'd car from A to B without insurance and tax? Would an MoT appointment qualify (even if it has just passed one)

Asked on 1 April 2019 by Oliver Martin Stunt

Answered by Keith Moody
It depends if your location is the MoT station? If not, you could end up explaining to the police why you're nowhere near where you're supposed to be. You can't drive a car on the road without tax or insurance so one option here is to trailer it. You could phone your local garage to see if they can help, or try a site like Shipley. We've heard people say that you can do it yourself by towing it with a dolly to keep one axle off the ground - they argue that this makes it legal, but we're not 100% sure and have never been able to get an answer on this. To be honest, if your car runs and has an MoT, insure it for a day and tax it for six months then move it. You can cash the tax back in (although you lose a cost of a month) and it will probably work out cheaper in terms of cost and minimise hassle.
Similar questions
I'm busy with a full on restoration on a 1927 Fiat 509 Spider cabriolet. How many 509 Spider cabriolet were produced in their day? I've noticed that there's not a lot of these cars around anymore. What...
I'm looking into restoration with Jaguar specialists for my Daimler Double-Six Coupe. I wondered how much it would affect the value if I deviated from the original colour? The car is currently painted...
Can you please tell me the law on children travelling in the backseats of a classic convertible without seat belts?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote