Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks
Ask a Question

Do I have to apply for my classic car to be MoT exempt?

My 1969 classic is already registered as an Historic Vehicle and has not been 'substantially changed', does this mean it is automatically exempt from MoT testing or do I still have to complete a V112 registration form?

Asked on by

You do not need to get an MoT if your vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago and no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the past 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works. You do not have to apply to stop getting an MoT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.

Similar questions
There seems to be a lot of uncertainty surrounding voluntary MoTs, including from the DfT. What is the legal status of a voluntary MoT (for an MoT-exempt Historic vehicle)? Will I receive a pass or fail...
I have a 1971 Mini. I taxed it (free) in February when I bought it. The MoT runs out on 23 May 2018. Do I fill in the V112 MoT exempt declaration form when I tax it again next February?
My 1967 Chevrolet Camaro failed its last MoT on having combined indicator and brake lights, i.e. red rather than amber indicators. From February 2018, cars that are 40 years or older are MoT exempt. Will...

Ask Honest John