Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

June 2018

the.bloke

Hi All

I am having great difficulties to find a place in London [North] to have my wheels balanced.... Read more

macscrooge

I had the same trouble with a Peugeot 104 back in the mid 80s. At that time some places had the kit to balance the wheels while they were still on the car.

expertad

Had a W12 for a while,a great barge,although even if you could allegedly sit at 155MPH and be as cool as a cucumber inside,they couldn't get the damn engine warning light to go out every time I drove the thing.My local VW 'dealer' could never fix it.Chopped it in for a BMW 540i.Build quality,even.Comfort,even.The interior,advantage VW.Glorious cup holders,REAL wood trim.BMW spent a whopping 50p developing the cup holders,then found some random plastic wood trim and stuck it on the dash.NEVER even used the cup holders,just pressed them weirdly every time a drove it.I appreciate the engineering,don't want to stick a silly 'Latte' or whatever in there.Driving,advantage BMW.Lovely quiet,smooth W12 in the VW, but smoother,quicker,better sounding lovely V8 in the BMW.Both great examples of early German engineering though. Read more

Matthew King 80

There's no way their ever going to become classics. Firstly most if not all of the few remaining are euro 5 diesels which are rapidly becoming obsolete. And they're hideously complex and hard to work on, many jobs requiring removal of the entire drivetrain to complete.

Within the next 5 years I doubt they'll be more than a handful left, sadly.

I have 530d e39 it has 145000 still tons of power cruise down the motorway at 110 easily fix most problems myself with help of YouTube. Cheap reliable love it . Read more

expertad

Great barge to waft about in.I worked for BMW at that time and rumour has it the engineers were handed a blank cheque to develop the best car in the world,as they were a bit miffed about the quality/success of the Mercedes W124.Drive lots of modern cars including BMW's but my E39 M5 still gets wheeled out at weekends,still mightily impressed with the build quality,quality of materials.This is a steal for a grand,lovely straight six,peerless quality,and will last forever if you look after it.

Edward Legge

ACE wasn't just available on air-sprung models. It was standard on the GS5 models and above which were coil sprung. Read more

The location of these cars MAY be RAF
Thurleigh near Bedford... Read more

I'm assuming these were part of a Govt scrappage scheme therefore own by the Govt.

Simple answer should be that the Govt should get the DVLa to recind the scapped tag on the vehicle file and auction them off.

Got to be money in that which could go back into the Govt coffers.

Seems silly to scap some desirable classics just because the original owner didn't realise the interest in them.

Bean

Karen's kars

My uncle bought one from new, probally the worst car he ever owned. Suspension , gearbox ,all sorts went. He scrapped it with less than 80k on it. Read more

Raymond Grimwood

Have tried everywhere for months to obtain body parts for my 1905 TD LX Xantia . A brilliant car especially on long runs to the continent . Far more V6's abroad but left hand drive is not so easy ? I shall hunt for a right hand drive next year ! The only alternative to the Xantia hatchback is a '99 to '01 Nissan Primera but regretfully without the lovely bodywork design , second to none !!

Vote in a replacement new Mayor Read more

Gordon Ennis

As usual it's the car owners getting it in the neck. Nobody says clobber the real polluters vis a vis all the flying machines that keep 1,000,000 passengers aloft at any one time 24 / 7 / 365. Their pollution contributions must be massive, especially over the big cities with airports, and even more so over the entire upper atmosphere of the planet.

CushyCornering

I had one, a sexy MY 2000 'Quadrifoglio' in black, with the 2-litre Twinspark engine and black Momo leather. It was an absolute joy - wish I'd kept it. It never let me down, although Alfa servicing and customer 'care' were quite frustrating. That engine sings! BTW, for anyone considering one, apparently the 1.8TS engine is the pick of the bunch - only 10bhp down on the 2.0, but doesn't have the complication of the balancer shafts. Read more

Chris Devonshire

Had my Zt CDTi auto for almost 16 years now ,and apart from keeping an eye on a few odd things and dealing with them before they are a problem. the car has Never let me down in all that time . A bit of a low miler at 147k at the moment . LOL. Read more

Had a mg zt t cdti in the family for nearly 10 years it is now on 221000 miles and apart from wear and tear ie shocks and brakes and general servicing has never let us down.

Fantastic car fun to drive even if it's a bit of a hard ride. ...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote