Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

June 2017

edlithgow

I need to find out where all these "100% scrap" (but 100% legal) 10 year old Porsche tyres are dumped.

Could be a major contribution to road safety. Read more

RafflesNH

So, how old is too old, Fuzz?

I'm on my second. I don't think you can get a better car for the money. I have t sport with 190 bhp. If only it had isofix. But the engine is a gem and I prefer it to the type R's.
Plus it so much better looking. I have a private plate and no one can believe that it's over 10 years old. Read more

Fraser Mitchell

I'm now on my second X350, (a 2007 Sovereign 3 litre petrol), and would agree that these are an excellent car. However the ride is not as good as you might think, because use of large diameter wheels means the very low profile tyres let through sharp bumps and sunken man-hole covers.Best to not go beyond 18" wheels if you can, and see if the 17" will fit. These were available on the cars with normal size brake discs. My first X350 had 20" on purchase, and the ride was terrible.I swapped to 18" and it got a lot better. Current car is on 19" wheels and I am thinking of getting a set of 17" on eBay if I can when the tyres need replacing. Why there is this mania for large diameter wheels and "sport" suspension I really don't know. This is a luxury saloon and most owners will not be taking them round race tracks at weekends ! Read more

Especial Rental

I was searching for something like this for quite a long time and at last, I found it on your blog. Its great to hear from you I,m reaching out about your content you provide me with an updates. This personal touch lets you clarify specifics, negotiate prices, and have a constant contact line for inquiries during your vacation. houses to rent in dublin

HannaB

Can anyone give me advice on transporting my vehicle from Montpellier region to UK please? I have ony found one shipper who cannot do this for 6 weeks. I also found one person from UK who said they will go and collect it on a trailer, but they won't give me a price? Should I stick the the shipper or is it best to find someone who can drive over with a trailer? I don't fancy doing that myself being female and not knowing the french roads.

Thank you. Read more

logger

Long story but I was given a GTI from my brother who has moved abroad.

I put it in for an MOT knowing as it had been sat for two years it was going to fail on a lot...and it did !

A local guy who is a good mechanic and works from a unit has quoted me for the work. I dont think the prices are by any means incorrect...so the question is for a 1984 8v Gti ( first of the mk2's ) special edition ( has decor seats ), 186k miles...is the car going to be worth say £1500+ after I spend the £800...BUT bear in mind the bodywork also needs tidying up ( at least one door, boot catch, window seals etc )

This is the list
Totals including labour

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive (7.3.B.1a) £ 110.00
Nearside Front Outer Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated £ 17.00
Offside Front Outer Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated £ 17.00
Nearside Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3) £ 75.00
earside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded £ 20.00
Nearside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded £ 15.00
Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a) £ 3.00
Offside Headlamp not working on main beam (1.7.5a) £ 3.00
Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively £ 2.50
Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively £ 2.50
Rear Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1) £ 10.00
Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d) £ 1.00
Nearside Front Tyre has a bulge £ 30.00
Offside Front Tyre has a lump, £ 30.00
Offside Rear Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b) £ 30.00
Rear passenger door does not latch securely closed (6.2.B.1a) £ 10.00
Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7) £ 25.00
Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a) £ 85.00
Offside rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a) £ 85.00
discs and pads all round needed, the front with parts and labour £ 75.00
coolant change and new thermostat , with labour £ 40.00
new rocker cover gasket, with labour £ 12.00
timing belt and tensioner, new drive belt + labour £ 115.00

I know its an enthusiasts car and I am not shying away from that but my budget will be tight so I need to know that I would at least get my money back if the worst cam to the worst and I had to sell it

cheers Read more

SLO76

If it's a Mk II it'll easily be worth £1,500 with a years Mot and in good running order especially freshly serviced with a timing belt and water pump as listed. If the thing is solid I'd certainly be going ahead with it. Tidy Mk II's are easily worth north of £3k and immaculate cars can exceed £7-£8k. Don't scrimp on it though! These are genuine classics and well worth preserving.

The confusion comes from your title though. The Mk IV 2.0 (1984cc) was not a particularly good car and will never be a classic so if you mean one of these then no, it won't be worth spending the money.

Bernardo Costa

Good Morning,

First of all, I would like to present myself, I'm new here.... Read more

RaineMan

Rimmer Brothers stock a large range of spares for the SD1 - rimmerbros.com/

Sadtomato

All very interesting but at £49 to visit I do not think they will be overwhelmed with visitors! Last time I went to Gaydon it was about £12 and you could go back any time within 12 months so is decent value. Also I should mention that the splendid nearby Coventry Transport Museum is free admission and they have a good Jaguar/Daimber representation along with other british cars. One slight degression, the Cosford air museum near Wolverhampton is also free admission and well worth going. Both these museums are 'family friendly' and great for school holiday cheap days out. Read more

gazzag

Its funny that (in my mind) Peugeot and Citroen can't have nice cars at the same time. Back in the lat 80s and 90s, Peugeot had some nice cars and Citroen some ugly ones. For the past 10 years Citroen has had some great looking cars and Peugeot some right ugly ones.

Gary Read more

I drove one for 10 years there was always some little thing that needed to be fixed. Seat warmers stopped working, immobiliser fault, seat reclining lever cable snapped electric mirror stopped working, oil leak from cam cover, muffler rusted out 3 times in 10 years. Nearly all parts of the suspension replaced at least once. Warning lights on the dash working then not working and can never figure out the cause. I had one mechanic who refused to work anymore on my 406 he hated it. I still have it but it's not my daily driver. I have the 3.0l V6. You can average about 8l per 100km on highways but round town it's about 12-13l. If you like spending money/time on repairs and spare parts this is your car. Bonnet also rusted out near the bonnet catch so couldn't open and close bonnet properly. List goes on and on.

cheshiredolphin

1912 surely? Read more

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote