Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

August 2020

Dontbuyafreelander

Had error code 3 and 4 flashing on dash. This equates to Passenger side front Safety belt pretensioner circuit fault. Purchased a second hand Passenger side front pretensioner from a quality seller on ebay 100% positive feedback.

So disconnected battery and waited 5 minutes (Jaguar manual states 1 minute). Pushed seat back and Removed the two front bolts holding down the front passenger side seat, then pulled seat forward to show back cover covering the 4 front passenger side seat bolts, removed this cover, and then removed these bolts, From front of seat tipped seat backwards to I could see the two pretensioner wire that go into the connector at the front of the seat. then got my new pretensioner out of the box, and compared it to the one I had in my car, I had ordered the wrong colour, my car has a black one, the one I had ordered was sable in colour. So I decided to disconnect the two pretensioner cables from the front connector, just incase there was a faulty connection, did this then put everything back in reverse order. Connected the battery and switched on the ignition. To my amazement the error code changed from 34 to 33, this indicates that the Front drivers side safety belt pretensioner circuit was at fault. So did exactly the same with the front seat, disconnecting the battery and waiting 5 minutes then removing bolts and then discounnecting the two pretensioners from the front connector, put everything back in reverse order. connected the battery again, and to my amazement I did not have any codes flashing, so it was just a loose connection under both seats. Hope this helps some one. Read more

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote