Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

I'm putting a modern Toyota engine in a classic 1949 AC - what will the tax be?

I'm restoring a 1949 AC 2 litre saloon but expect to fit a 1990's Toyota 2.0 litre engine. What is likely to be the tax on this?

Asked on 18 July 2018 by Karl W Smith

Answered by Keith Moody
You must update the details on your registration certificate (V5C) to tell DVLA about important changes you make to your vehicle, including engine changes. So you will need to give the DVLA evidence or written confirmation if you fit that Toyota 2.0-litre to your car. You'll need to provide either a receipt for the replacement engine, written evidence from the manufacturer, an inspection report provided for insurance purposes. Mark any changes on section seven of your V5C, sign it and send it to DVLA (Swansea, SA99 1DZ). If the change isn't listed in section seven, fill in section four and send it DVLA with evidence and a covering letter explaining the change. The DVLA with then contact you to confirm the change or tell you if it needs an inspection of if you have to pay more vehicle tax. I have asked the DVLA exactly what this change means for your situation, but haven't yet had an answer.
Similar questions
I own a Volkswagen T25, manufactured by 1981, first registered in Germany in 1983 and then in the UK in 2006. As my V5C reflects the date of first registration in the UK, is the process of applying for...
I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance...
I have a 1978 Triumph Stag that becomes historic this year. It was 1st registered 1st Mar 1978. The MoT runs out 18th April 19 and the tax runs out 1st May 19. I just want to check that as the tax runs...
Related models
Good to drive, smooth six-cylinder power, great owners' club

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote