Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Is my classic car tax exempt even though it was imported to the UK in 2006?

I own a Volkswagen T25, manufactured by 1981, first registered in Germany in 1983 and then in the UK in 2006. As my V5C reflects the date of first registration in the UK, is the process of applying for exemption any different? I have the certificate from Volkswagen confirming production date and the German logbook but is historic status calculated from first reg or date of manufacture?

Asked on 21 January 2019 by Chris Davies

Answered by Keith Moody
It's definitely an interesting question. We spoke to the DVLA but couldn't get a definitive answer, I'm afraid. A spokesman said, 'We would assess applications such as these on a case-by-case basis, and would not be able to advise on the specifics of the individual case without having all the relevant information.' However, the exemption is based on build date not registration so I don't see that there would be a problem. Definitely best to get in touch with the DVLA sooner rather than later, though, as it can be a slow process if they ask for paperwork or a inspection from a club etc.
Similar questions
I'm restoring a 1949 AC 2 litre saloon but expect to fit a 1990's Toyota 2.0 litre engine. What is likely to be the tax on this?
I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?
I have acquired a 1978 motorcycle which I will be restoring. I have accordingly applied for a SORN, with the intention of applying for historic vehicle tax when the vehicle is roadworthy again, has insurance...