Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

March 2016

colric

I have had a look under the conifers in our front garden ........no luck!!!

Colin Riches Read more

Corps Diplomat

I'd forgotten they did an estate in this generation 3 Series. Sort of disappeared from our roads without anyone noticing. Read more

tobytronicstereophonic

Well, the 'up-and-coming' part of this article was certainly prophetic. Writing this in mid-2020 you won't find an E36 Touring much below £3k unless you want a structurally corroded project. In my opinion, having recently bought one, even the 316i still offers acceptable performance. The diesel versions are best avoided as these are noisy, slow and economy only slightly better than the four-pot petrol ones.

Genuine parts are very expensive, but fuel consumption can be surprisingly good and with unleaded @ £0.99/litre, best be quick before they all are taken by the Great Drifting God in the sky. Corrosion resistance can be abysmal: take a look at how many rust-free Xsara Picassos are still plodding on: I haven't spotted an E36 for at least 12 months. As mentioned, suspension bushes and steering joints are likely to be shot too. Engines and transmission are long lasting, though. Ebay has many poorly listed parts for pennies if you're happy to spend a lot of hours cross referencing part numbers. Chinese coil-over suspension kits can be had for around £120 inc. delivery and and be fit in just a cpouple of hours. They seem OK quality-wise too especially those sold by 'Maxpeeding Rods' (sic)....

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote