Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

February 2018

Chris C

Defeats continually snatched from the jaws of victory...

Why the "would've" abbreviations? Read more

The unions get a bad press in this, but the fault lay at least as much - in fact, more - with greedy, petty incompetent, dishonest management. The squabbling, lack of vision and obsession with siphoning off the money into their pension funds is what killed MBC/BL/AR. The unions were right. The management were the villains. Of course, the press, under Thatcher's control, fed us a different and cynically false, picture, but history has now revealed the true facts.

If the management had run a competent and honest company with a decent labour relations and investment strategy, then the unions would have had nothing to complain about. No workers want to go on strike, but when their jobs, security and prospects are under continual erosion and attack, then what else can they do? Thatcher and her cronies deliberately appointed junkyard-dog managers into the organization whose job was solely to whip up discontent in an attempt to break the unions. It was never about making cars. It was only ever a political power play on part of a corrupt cabinet.

Matthew King 80

Junk, rubbish. Poor mans 5 series, the crash safety dubious. Read more

Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I have always thought the Jowett Jupiter was an ugly car. Why is the bonnet and scuttle so high ? It's got a flat 4 engine after all.
A great and interesting racing pedigree though. Read more

Moro

I bought an ex-demo S4 Avant Tiptronic in 2004 which I still think was the best car I have ever owned. Fond memories of more than 3 years and over 30k miles of quite troublefree motoring @ mid 20’s mpg - although a spirited memorable drive in the Alps did show single figures! I did have the complex cam chain replaced under a warranty recall - which I remember being a lot of labour hours - and also had an excruciatingly expensive door mirror casing (real alloy!) and glass replaced after a coming together with an oncoming vehicle which didn’t stop...but I have recently been looking at getting another as a classic. Good article. Read more

A DeAngelis

Greetings from the USA. I just turned 50,000 miles on my 2004 S-4 Cabriolet 6 speed manual trans., which i purchased new for $ 65,000 US. I never had any problems and plan to keep it another 14 years. I couldn't trade it in for a Toyota Corolla, which I wouldn't be caught dead driving anyway. Great car, It still never fails to thrill on the sunny days when it's driven.

Peter McGuire

I can just see a couple of Teddy Boys stopping to comb their ducktails in the Vauxhall's wing mirrors. Read more

meandering

Not such a good pub quiz question, as January 2000 occurred during the 20th Century Read more

We brought a rover 45 2005 model 1.6 Club SE with 99000 miles on the clock not loved and not cared for for £600, she would have been scrapped if we never bought her. The lovely Royal Blue colour.

I spent £300 making her good, three years later and three MOTS she has never failed and only 2500 cars from the end of production, she a late new shape model. its the best second hand car our family has ever bought and NO rust at 13 years old. I love it.

I really like the MPG its a petrol and for £45 pound she will do 375 miles to a tank for none diesel and pretty quick on a sixteen hundred engine. THESE ROVER 45 are WELL under estimated. truly and yes much better than VW, FORD, VAUXHALL etc they just have bigger budget to brag and promote and thats the only difference, Rover made great cars but could not brag about it.

THE ROVER 45 ARTICLE HERE IS SPOT ON A CLASSIC AND NASA CONFIRMED IT

craig-pd130

One of the most recent 'Ask HJ' questions was about running a 1971 MG on 'premium petrol' (link: classics.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/94659/shoul...l-).

My old '73 BGT was happy on super unleaded, but needed the ignition timing retarding slightly to stop it pinking (the engines were designed with the old 5-star 100-octane fuel in mind).... Read more

craig-pd130

The lead substitute additive is potentially toxic to handle iirc.Not seen it on sale recently. What you say about recession is correct, but most people seem to get the hardened valve seats and new valves fitted when an engine is overhauled. Ah the delicate sound of pinking, that takes me back.

Interesting, it still seems to be freely available online from Wynns, Castrol, Redex and other brands ...

To be fair, I believe the pinking on my old BGT was a worn vacuum advance on the distie. I fitted a Ford 'spark delay' valve (basically a vacuum restrictor) in the vac line and it stopped the pinking completely without affecting pick-up or throttle response at all.

100andthirty

First and only hatchback.......until the Arteon! Read more

Frank Bunce

Would you be allowed to enter it at Goodwood? Read more

Dennis Shepherd

Suspect not, but it would look good in the car park!

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote