Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

February 2007

CJay{P}

I am toying with the idea of a practical classic or a car that has stopped depreciating. Reliability is very much high on the agenda. Driving enjoyment is also very high on the agenda. I like a car with useable rear seats (if possible, but not mandatory). I would like to use it day in day out, but will not put too many miles. Perhaps 6-7k miles a year. Each trip is likely to be 10-15 miles, fastish A/B roads. Petrol consumption is not an issue. Parking at home and work is ?safe?.

Prepared to spend as much as £10k, if depreciation plus servicing costs do not exceed £1k a year. Looks are not that important to me, but my wife is keen on good looking cars (marital harmony is important!). I am in my mid thirties and wife is in her late twenties, no kids ? yet..

Current cars in the household are an Audi TT and an E46 320D. If I do buy, it will be replacing the TT. Prior to this, we went through a number of E46s, E39, Z3 and two W203s.

Am I looking for a non existent car. Suggestions please.
Read more

Roger Jones

Looking back to November 2000, when I acquired the newest car I own (it was then 4 years old), I see a total mileage of 67k and no breakdowns, in cars made in 1984 (15k since restoration in 9/03), 1990 (4k since 5/06), 1991 (10k since 4/05) and 1996 (38k since 11/00). Yes, one flat battery and, yes, one transmission problem (both in the newest car) caused by, and rectified by, the dealer who used to service it. Regular servicing by a competent mechanic (not me), plus frequent oil changes may have something to do with it.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote