Marcos has had countless ups and downs during its long history - but has created some of the UK's most memorable sports cars along the way. It was founded in Dolgellau, North Wales, in 1959 by Jem Marsh and Frank Costin, hence the name Marcos, but along the way, moved to a converted mill in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire in 1963 and in 1971 to a £125,000 purpose-built factory at nearby Westbury.
The company suffered from financial problems durng the 1970s - first as a result of the cost of moving to Westbury, then the failure of the ill-fated Mantis added to the company's terminal decline. Jem Marsh stayed bought back the rights to the Marcos name in 1976, and in 1981 the company was relaunched with the familiar looking Marcos V6 Coupé, which was sold in kit form. Marcos went folded in 2000, but Tony Stelliga bought the company, and revived production in 2002. Race car production was relocated to the Netherlands while road car production moved to Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England. By 2005 most of the designers from near-to-bankrupt TVR had joined the company. It didn't last - in October 2007, Marcos would ceased production and went into voluntary liquidation.