Jowett is another of those frustrating missed opportunites from the British motor industry. After years of experimentation, brothers William and Benjamin Jowett produced their first cars in Bradford in 1910, powered by the lightweight flat-twin engine that would still be used in their Bradford van after WW2. The cars gained a steady reputation for humble durability, and a four-cylinder version was finally added to the range in 1937.
Post war, the company moved upmarket with the Javelin and Jupiter sports car, which raced with surprising success at Le Mans. The unreliability of early versions hurt Jowett, but this highly innovative company was ultimately killed off when its body supplier, Briggs, was taken over by Ford in 1953.