Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Should I wait to get my 1971 Spitfire MoT'd?

I have a 1971 Spitfire IV on which the MoT expires in February, but which is currently garaged over winter. The tax runs to 1st May (its £0 now). Shall I wait until the new MoT exemption rules come in May then tax it without an MoT certificate? Do I need to SORN in the meantime?

Asked on 22 February 2018 by Paul T

Answered by Keith Moody
Personally, we'd always get a classic MoT'd for peace of mind. If you decide not to MoT, you'll miss a lot of the good weather, the shows, and the events - which is a big part of owning an old car. There's bound to be some kinks to iron out in the system, so if you really don't want to MoT it, you could wait until next year. Remember though that even though your car will be MoT exempt, you still have a responsibility to keep it roadworthy - otherwise your insurance will be invalidated. Check the fine print of your insurance, too, sometimes not having an MoT can mean your vehicle is no longer insured. If you cancel your insurance, you'll need to declare SORN.
Similar questions
I own a Triumph Spitfire that's just over 40 years old, registered on 14 February 1978. When do I apply for Historic status, now or after 21 May 2018?
Both my Renault R16s are almost 50 years old and have tax exemption as they are registered as historic. Do I need to fill in a V112 form as well? Furthermore is it legal to drive in the EU (France) and...
Does a campervan registered in 1978 need an MoT?
Related models
Sweet to drive, fun and good value for money, with brilliant club and specialist back-up

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote