Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Can I transfer a private reg from a SORN vehicle?

Can I transfer the private reg from a car I put into storage (SORN) five years ago? It had an MoT when put into storage but hasn't had one since. The car could be recommissioned and MOTd quite quickly but I don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary.

Asked on 3 April 2017 by Chinleyman

Answered by Keith Moody
If the tax ran out more than 12 months ago, the number can't be transferred without first re-taxing the 'donor' car. And that means, if the car was built after 1 January, 1960, you'll need to get it MoT'd first. Once that's done, you can now apply to transfer a number online (
Similar questions
I have a Q registration kit car which was last taxed and insured in 1990. Since then the vehicle has been in my garage. I have never declared SORN for the vehicle since at the time there was no requirement...
I purchased a pair of number plates from Halfords, I believe it was the Hi Line option. I was reassured with this purchase that the plates were legal as they state on their website “We are registered...
I've found a car I like but don't like the last bit of the number plate (KLL) - it looks like kill. Can the dealer change the number plate for me? It's a 68 plate car, so another 68-plate will be fine....

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote